M-24 (Lapeer Road) Reconstruction, Lapeer County
The overall project includes reconstructing 2 miles of M-24 from south of I-69 to Nepessing Street in the city of Lapeer and Lapeer Township. Work, which began in late April, is expected to be completed in mid-September 2015.
In addition to road construction, the $17.5 million project also includes:
- storm and sanitary sewer,
- water main and hydrants,
- sidewalk and signal upgrades,
- curb and gutter replacement,
- shoulder improvements,
- constructing a nonmotorized path from Turrill Road to Tower Street,
- replacing the M-24 culvert over Farmers Creek, and
- installing a new lighted pedestrian tunnel.
All side street approaches within these limits will be included in the reconstruction.
Access to all businesses will be maintained for the duration of this project.
The original construction schedule called for M-24 reconstruction from Tower Road north to Nepessing Street in 2014, with work from Tower Road south to I-69 scheduled in 2015. The schedule has been revised:
- M-24 will be reconstructed from I-69 to Demille Road in 2014,
- M-24 will be reconstructed from Demille Road to Nepessing Street in 2015, and
- Farmers Creek Bridge will be replaced in 2015, with traffic detoured from July 8 to Aug. 23, 2015
One lane will remain open in each direction with traffic shifted to northbound M-24 lanes.
Once work is complete, traffic will be shifted to southbound M-24 lanes while northbound lanes are reconstructed from I-69 to Tower Street.
Crews will begin resurfacing work once northbound and southbound M-24 reconstruction work is complete.
Overall construction during this phase will extend from Demille Road to I-69, with work under way from July to November. Local traffic restrictions may be in effect.
Left turns will be allowed only at signalized intersections.