I-96 at Cascade Road Diverging Diamond Interchange, Grand Rapids
Investment: $15.7 million
- Reconfiguring the interchange to a diverging diamond interchange (DDI), including removal of the two existing loop-style exit ramps and reconstruction of four ramps;
- Reconstructing Cascade Road between Cascade West Parkway and Kenmoor Avenue;
- Resurfacing Cascade Road between Kenmoor Avenue and Forest Hills Avenue (work by Kent County Road Commission);
- Replacing the Cascade Road bridge over I-96 with two new bridges, one for eastbound Cascade Road over I-96 and one for westbound Cascade Road over I-96;
- New traffic signals on Cascade Road at the freeway ramps; and
- Adding sidewalk along Cascade Road between East Paris Avenue and Kenmoor Avenue.
- Cascade Road and I-96 lanes will remain open with no closures during the winter seasonal shutdown period.
- During demolition of the existing bridge, Cascade Road will be closed and I-96 traffic will be diverted up and over the ramps. Cascade Road closures will be limited to weekend closures (Friday night through Monday morning).
- I-96 will be reduced to one lane in each direction during these closures and detoured up and over the ramps.
- I-96 traffic also will be stopped occasionally at night for short durations during bridge beam setting.
- Intermittent shoulder closures and lane shifts will occur on I-96 during temporary widening and bridge and ramp reconstruction.
- Lane closures and traffic shifts will be required on Cascade Road during roadway and bridge reconstruction.
- Access to businesses will be maintained during construction.
Diverging diamond interchanges (DDI) are diamond interchanges that more efficiently handle areas of heavy left-turn traffic. While the ramp configuration is similar to a traditional diamond interchange, traffic on the crossroad moves to the left side of the roadway for the segment between signalized ramp intersections.
For more information on diverging diamond interchanges, visit www.divergingdiamond.com.
Christopher Van Norwick, P.E.
Grand Rapids Transportation Service Center, 616-464-1800
Sign up for e-mail alerts from MDOT