US-12 (Michigan Ave.) Resurfacing, Washtenaw and Wayne counties
Investment: $15.1 million
Starting in May, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will repurpose a portion of US-12 (Michigan Avenue) between Ecorse Road and Airport Industrial Drive in Wayne and Washtenaw counties, including:
- Resurfacing approximately 2 miles of US-12 between Ecorse and Gates roads;
- Resurfacing approximately 1 mile of Wiard Road between Tyler Road and US-12;
- Converting US-12 from a boulevard to an undivided road between Ecorse Road and Airport Industrial Drive;
- Converting Wiard Road from a boulevard to an undivided road between Tyler Road and US-12;
- Widening the section of eastbound US-12 between Ecorse Road and Airport Industrial Drive to maintain two-way traffic with two lanes in each direction;
- Bridge improvements at the intersection of US-12 and Wiard Road;
- Safety upgrades at the intersection of US-12 and Dorsett Avenue; and
- Constructing a roundabout at the intersection of Wiard and Airport roads.
During construction, single-lane closures will be in effect on eastbound and westbound US-12 for the construction of crossovers, an additional lane on eastbound US-12, resurfacing, and bridge work. Single-lane closures will occur on northbound and southbound Wiard Road during the construction of crossovers, resurfacing, and a roundabout at Airport Road.
Wiard Road will be closed during weekend bridge demolition at Airport Road.
These improvements will increase pedestrian safety for those crossing US-12 via the pedestrian refuge island being built on eastbound US-12 and installing a countdown pedestrian crossing signal.