Route Closures

Temporarily closing a State highway Right-of-Way for a parade, celebration, festival or similar activity is authorized by Public Act (PA) 200 of 1969, as amended, entitled Driveways, Banners and Parades.  Only a governmental agency may request a trunkline closure from the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT). 

Transverse crossings shall require a permit when the duration of the trunkline closure exceeds 1 hour. Trunkline closures for house moves must be directed thru MDOT’s  Transport Permit Office. 

For more information on Trunkline closures for Oversize/Overweight permits, visit MDOT's Truckers Page.

Governmental agencies shall submit an individual permit with the following: 

  • Performance - Resolution for Governmental Bodies, (Form 2207B)

  • Parade Event Permit Application, (Form UP-67)

  • Time and date when the State highway Right-of-Way shall be closed and reopened to traffic

  • Names of the streets at both ends of the section of State highway Right-of-Way to be closed

  • Map showing the closure route and the proposed detour

  • Signing detail and/or a letter from the local law enforcement agency indicating police traffic regulators shall be used in lieu of signing for a short term closure not exceeding 1 hour

  • Reason why the closure is desired

Construction Permit Process Information 

All construction permit applications are submitted and purchased through the MDOT Permit Gateway available thru MiLogin online system.