MDOT Halts Most Work for the Labor Day Weekend
Beginning at 3 p.m. Friday, Sept. 4, and continuing until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 8, MDOT will suspend construction wherever possible on state roads and bridges in anticipation of the estimated 1.12 million people AAA Michigan says will be traveling this holiday weekend in Michigan.
To help make this holiday weekend a safe and enjoyable one, motorists are advised to minimize distractions while driving, obey the posted speed limits, and pay close attention to road signs and orange barrels as they navigate construction zones.
Motorists are encouraged to regularly check MDOT's popular Mi Drive traffic website (www.michigan.gov/drive) for traffic incident alerts, live traffic Web cams, and additional construction information.
This Labor Day holiday, MDOT is lifting traffic restrictions on 114 of 155 projects statewide. Following is a list of the work zones that will remain active, or have some lane restrictions, during the Labor Day holiday weekend. If necessary, detour routes will be posted at project locations.
Traffic restriction information is subject to change. Check www.michigan.gov/drive for current information.
‐ I‐75 Business Spur in Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa County, has a detour in effect from Easterday Avenue to Sheridan Drive for truck traffic but will have one lane open in each direction for passenger vehicles.
‐ M‐35, Marquette County, has one lane open over Warner Creek under a temporary traffic signal.
‐ M‐38, Houghton County, has one lane open at the Silver River bridge under a temporary traffic signal.
‐ US‐2, Delta County, has two lanes open over the Ogontz River with a temporary bridge and roadway.
‐ US‐2 in Ironwood, Gogebic County, has a posted detour in effect for westbound traffic.
‐ US‐45, Ontonagon County, has one lane open over the Baltimore River under a temporary traffic signal.
For more information, contact Dan Weingarten, Superior Region Communications Representative, at 906-250-4809.
‐ M‐72 in Acme Township, Grand Traverse County, will have traffic shifts in place with one lane open in each direction. No oversized loads.
‐ US‐31 in Petoskey, Emmet County, will have traffic shifts between Eppler and Camp Daggett roads.
- US-31, Emmet County, is closed to through-traffic north of Alanson. Detour on local roads; alternate route on M-68 and I-75.
For more information, contact James Lake, North Region Communications Representative, at 906-250-0993.
For more information, contact John Richard, Grand Region Communications Representative, at 616-262-1565.
- L Drive North in Marshall Township, Calhoun County, has one lane open on the bridge over I‐69 under temporary signals.
‐ Sprinkle Road in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, has one lane open in each direction over I‐94.
- I‐94 Business Loop (Columbia Avenue) in Battle Creek, Calhoun County, is closed at I-94 Exit 92 and detoured.
‐ I‐94 Business Loop (Stadium Drive) in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, has one lane open in each direction at US‐131.
‐ M‐60 in Mendon, St. Joseph County, has a posted detour for westbound traffic.
- M‐139 in Niles, Cass County, is closed over the St. Joseph River with a posted detour.
For more information, contact Nick Schirripa, Southwest Region Communications Representative, at 269-208-7829.
- I-69, Genesee County, has lane closures from Dort Highway to Center Road. Lane closures also in effect on M-54, Averill Avenue and Center Road.
- I-75, Bay County, will have shoulder closures at the US-10 interchange. The northbound I-75 ramp to westbound US-10 is closed.
- I-75, Saginaw County, will have lane shifts from Dixie Highway to Hess Road.
- M-15 in Davison, Genesee County, has one lane open in each direction from Davison Road to Potter Road.
- M-15 in Vassar, Tuscola County, has one lane open on the bridge over the Cass River under temporary signals.
- M-24 in Lapeer, Lapeer County, has one lane open in each direction from Demille Boulevard to Nepessing Street. Traffic detoured at Farmers Creek.
- M-46, Saginaw County, will have single-lane closures from Gaslight Lane to Thomas Road.
- M-90, Sanilac County, has one lane open in each direction over Potts Drain east of the village of Peck under a temporary signal.
- US-127 Business Route (Alger Road), Gratiot County, is closed to all through-traffic. Detour: Cheesman Road, Begole Road, M-46, and Jefferson Road. US-127 will have all lanes open.
- US-10, Bay County, has one lane closed in each direction at the I-75 interchange. The westbound US-10 ramp to southbound I-75 is closed.
- US-10 Business Route (Eastman Avenue), in Midland, Midland County, has one lane open in each direction between Indian and Saginaw roads.
For more information, contact Jocelyn Hall, Bay Region Communications Representative, at 989-245-7117.
- I-75, Monroe County, has two lanes open in each direction between I-275 and Dixie Highway.
- M-43, Eaton County, is closed and detoured at Oneida Road, west of Grand Ledge.
- M-100 in Potterville, Eaton County, has one lane open under a temporary signal just north of downtown.
- US-23/I-96, Livingston County, has a traffic shift in place at the interchange. All lanes open on I-96 and US-23.
For more information, contact Kari Arend, University Region Communications Representative, at 517-206-1609.
- University Drive is closed over I-75.
- I-75 has two lanes open at 13 Mile Road for bridge work under the freeway.
- I-94 will have the ramps to and from Merriman Road closed for repair.
- M-1 Rail work continues in downtown Detroit, with the following in effect:
- I-94 has a traffic shift in place,
- I-75 has three lanes open, and
- M-1 (Woodward Avenue) has three lanes open.
- M-10 (Lodge Freeway) has lane closures on the service drive from Meyers Road to McNichols Road for retaining wall work.
- M-39 (Southfield Freeway) will have service drive closures at Joy Road.
- M-85 (Fort Street) remains closed over the Rouge River for bridge work.
- M-53 has two lanes open between 15 Mile Road and 18 Mile Road.
St. Clair County
- Michigan Road remains closed over I-94 for bridge work.
- I-69 has one lane open in each direction between M-19 and Taylor Road.
- I-94/I-69 interchange has multiple lane closures for bridge work.
For more information, contact Diane Cross, Metro Region Communications Representative, at 248-752-0336.
Download MDOT's Mi Drive traffic information app: www.michigan.gov/drive