Skip Navigation
Michigan.gov Home MI Places Home State Websites
close print view

Cranbrook (Cranbrook Educational Community)

Cranbrook Academy of Arts Peristyle. Photograph by Balthazar Korab.Cranbrook Institute of Science. Photograph by Balthazar Korab.

SIGNIFICANCE

Cranbrook had its beginnings in 1904, when George Gough Booth, publisher of the Detroit News, and his wife, Ellen Warren Scripps Booth, bought a large farm in the rolling countryside of Bloomfield Hills and named it after the English village of Cranbrook, the Booth family ancestral home. Taking up residence in 1907, the Booths gradually transformed their farm estate into a remarkable cultural and educational complex consisting of their home, Cranbrook House; the Meeting House, which was expanded into the elementary Brookside School; Christ Church Cranbrook; Cranbrook School for Boys; Cranbrook Academy of Art; Kingswood School for Girls; and Cranbrook Institute of Science.

A superb integration of architectural and landscape design elements, the Cranbrook complex represents a unique masterpiece in the history of American architecture. It embodies the belief shared by its founder, George G. Booth, and its principal architect, Eliel Saarinen, that art should permeate every aspect of life.

DESIGNATION AND DESIGNATION DATE

  • 1972, State Register of Historic Sites
  • 1973, National Register of Historic Places
  • 1989, National Historic Landmark

ARCHITECT, BUILDER, OR DESIGNER(S)

  • Eliel Saarinen, architect
  • Albert Kahn, architect
  • Bertram G. Goodhue Associates, architect
  • O. C. Simonds, landscape architect

SIGNIFICANT DATE(S)

  • 1926-1943, major components of Cranbrook designed and constructed

LINKS AND FURTHER READING

Michigan Business One Stop
Link to Department and Agencies Web Site Index
Link to Statewide Online Services Index
Link to Statewide Web-based Surveys
Link to RSS feeds available on this site
Related Content
 •  Bay View Association
 •  S. S. City of Milwaukee (car ferry)
 •  Alden B. Dow House and Studio
 •  Herbert H. Dow House
 •  Durant-Dort Carriage Company Office
 •  Fisher and New Center Buildings
 •  The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (The Edison Institute)
 •  Ford River Rouge Complex
 •  Ford Piquette Avenue Plant
 •  Fort Michilimackinac
 •  Fox Theatre Building
 •  General Motors Building (Cadillac Place)
 •  Grand Hotel
 •  Guardian Building (Union Trust Building, Union Guardian Building)
 •  Ernest Hemingway Cottage ("Windemere")
 •  Highland Park Ford Plant
 •  Huron, Lightship No. 103
 •  Lincoln Motor Company Plant (Demolished 2003)
 •  Mackinac Island
 •  Marshall Historic District
QR code

Michigan.gov Home
 | Accessibility Policy | Link Policy | Security Policy | Privacy Policy | Michigan News | Michigan.gov Survey

Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan