Skip Navigation
Michigan.gov Home State Websites MI Places Home
close print view

Saint Ignace Mission (Father Marquette Burial Site, Marquette Mission Park, Museum of Ojibwa Culture)

Saint Ignace Mission, Saint Ignace, Michigan

SIGNIFICANCE

The French mission believed to have been established on Mackinac Island around 1671 was moved in the following year to the mainland on the northern shore of the Straits of Mackinac. The mission was under the supervision of Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette, and the mission, a nearby fort and the French village which grew up at the site became a center of the flourishing fur trade which developed around the Straits of Mackinac. It was here in 1673 that Marquette joined the explorer Louis Jolliet for the journey which was to trace for the first time the broad stream of the Mississippi from its upper reaches in Wisconsin to the mouth of the Arkansas.

The Saint Ignace Mission was maintained until 1706 when it was suspended. In 1712 in was reopened and served the region around the Mackinac Straits until, in 1741, it was moved again, this time to the south shore of the Straits.

On his return north from the voyage down the Mississippi, Marquette, worn by exhaustion and illness, remained in the Illinois Country hoping to found a mission there. In 1675, feeling that his death was near, he set out for the Saint Ignace Mission but died and was buried en route. Two years later, his remains were carried to Saint Ignace in fulfillment of his wish to be buried at that mission. In 1877, what have been identified as Marquette's remains were discovered at Saint Ignace and reburied on the site of the Mission chapel. Although the authenticity of the site has been questioned, general opinion now credits the location as being the correct one.

DESIGNATION(S)

  • 1956, State Register of Historic Sites
  • 1958, Michigan Historical Marker
  • 1960, National Historic Landmark
  • 1966, National Register of Historic Places

ARCHITECT, BUILDER, DESIGNER(S)

  • n/a

SIGNIFICANT DATE(S)

  • 1671, Saint Ignace Mission was established on Mackinac Island
  • 1877, Father Marquette's remains were discovered at Saint Ignace and reburied on the site of the Mission Chapel

LINKS AND FURTHER READING

Michigan Business One Stop
Link to Department and Agencies Web Site Index
Link to Statewide Online Services Index
Link to Statewide Web-based Surveys
Link to RSS feeds available on this site
Related Content
 •  Bay View Association
 •  S. S. City of Milwaukee (car ferry)
 •  Cranbrook (Cranbrook Educational Community)
 •  Alden B. Dow House and Studio
 •  Herbert H. Dow House
 •  Durant-Dort Carriage Company Office
 •  Fisher and New Center Buildings
 •  The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village (The Edison Institute)
 •  Ford River Rouge Complex
 •  Ford Piquette Avenue Plant
 •  Fort Michilimackinac
 •  Fox Theatre Building
 •  General Motors Building (Cadillac Place)
 •  Grand Hotel
 •  Guardian Building (Union Trust Building, Union Guardian Building)
 •  Ernest Hemingway Cottage ("Windemere")
 •  Highland Park Ford Plant
 •  Huron, Lightship No. 103
 •  Lincoln Motor Company Plant (Demolished 2003)
 •  Mackinac Island
QR code

Michigan.gov Home
 | Accessibility Policy | Link Policy | Security Policy | Privacy Policy | Michigan News | Michigan.gov Survey

Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan