telephone consumer tips
- Discontinuance of Landline Service
Describes the process a provider of landline telephone service must adhere to in order to discontinue service in an area and provides information for consumers.
- Lifeline Program
Outlines eligibility requirements and benefits of program to assist low-income customers with telephone expenses.
- Michigan Relay Service
Michigan Relay allows individuals who hear and individuals who are deaf, hard-of-hearing or have difficulty speaking to communicate by telephone.
- Rural Call Completion Rural telephone companies across the country, including many in Michigan, have been experiencing call completion issues as a result of least cost routing.
- Is Broadband Available? Find out with Connect Michigan. A broadband connection allows you to take full advantage of the many benefits of high speed Internet access. While the Michigan Public Service Commission does not regulate broadband service, it does support increased broadband availability and adoption.
- Tips For Terminating Or Changing Telephone Service
Outlines precautionary steps to take when changing or terminating telephone service.
- Help With Utility Problems is Available by Calling the MPSC's Toll-Free Number!
Identifies special Michigan Public Service Commission toll-free numbers that consumers can use to receive help with natural gas, electric and telephone service problems and inoperative payphones.
- Know Your Telephone Services And Costs!
Encourages telephone customers to review the itemized charges on their monthly bill, and to know what services they are being charged for.
- Don't Get Stuck With The Bill!
Describes "cramming" -- the telephone billing practice of adding charges to customers' bills without their knowledge or consent. Outlines steps consumers can take to avoid cramming.
- Know Your Local Telephone Calling Area
Discusses the importance of knowing your local calling area in order to avoid unexpected long distance telephone charges.
- The Formal Telephone Complaint
Outlines steps to take to pursue a formal telephone complaint with the Commission.
- Cutting Telephone Costs
Provides ways to reduce the cost of residential telephone service.
- Are Those Away-From-Home Telephone Charges Costing Too Much?
Describes how to avoid high long distance charges when calling from public telephones or payphones located in hotels, motels, hospitals, gasoline stations, convenience stores, etc.
- 911 Telephone Emergency Access
Outlines 911 emergency dialing procedures from home or a business.
- Reduce Telemarketing Calls - The "Do Not Call" List
Describes the 'Do Not Call' List and how Michigan consumers can sign up by phone or online.