motor carrier
  • The Michigan Public Service Commission regulates companies operating as for-hire carriers in the State of Michigan. For-hire carriers include motor carriers of general commodities(freight), towing companies, and household goods movers. The Motor Carrier Division is responsible for insurance and safety regulation of intrastate for-hire motor carriers, as well as, rate and consumer protection regulation of the intrastate motor carriers of household goods. The Motor Carrier Division processes applications for new or expanded operating authority and for registration of intrastate motor vehicles. The Motor Carrier Division assists the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in the registration of motor carriers for the Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) program and the Intrastate USDOT Numbering Program.

    The Motor Carrier Division is now under the direction of the Michigan Department of State Police and has moved out of the MPSC office located at 7109 W. Saginaw Highway, Lansing, MI.

    The new physical location for the Motor Carrier Division is at the Michigan State Police Head Quarters building located at 333 S. Grand Avenue, Lansing Michigan. All Motor Carrier Division staff telephone numbers and email addresses remain the same. Call the Motor Carrier Division's main line at 517.284-8110 if you have any questions.

    Please note: there is no semi-truck parking available at 333 S. Grand Avenue in downtown Lansing.

    A motor carrier operating in Michigan should check to see if it is subject to regulatory compliance by other departments within the State of Michigan.