The Michigan Public Service Commission


The Motor Carrier Division is now under the direction of the Michigan Department of State Police and has moved out of the MPSC office located at 7109 W. Saginaw Highway, Lansing, MI.

The new physical location for the Motor Carrier Division is at the Michigan State Police Head Quarters building located at 7150 Harris Drive, Dimondale, Michigan 48821. All Motor Carrier Division staff telephone numbers and email addresses remain the same. Call the Motor Carrier Division's main line at 517-284-3250 if you have any questions. 

The mailing address for the Motor Carrier Division is:
P.O. Box 30634
Lansing, MI 48909

A motor carrier operating in Michigan should check to see if it is subject to regulatory compliance by other departments within the State of Michigan.

The Michigan Department of Treasury

International Fuel Tax (IFTA) permits:
An interstate motor carrier operating "qualified motor vehicles" between at least 2 member jurisdictions* must have an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) license and decals issued by their base jurisdiction. The license and decals must be renewed annually and quarterly reports must be filed to maintain valid IFTA credentials.

*Member Jurisdictions - The 48 contiguous states of the US and 10 Canadian provinces

  Michigan IFTA Office
Phone: 517-636-4580


The Michigan Department of Transportation

Roads & Travel:
Information about driving roads and special permits is available at the Trucker Service Center website.


The Michigan Secretary of State

International Registration Plan (IRP):
The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a program for licensing commercial vehicles (trucks and non-chartered buses) in interstate operations among member jurisdictions (states or provinces).  The member jurisdictions of IRP are all states (except Alaska and Hawaii), the District of Columbia, and the Canadian provinces (except Yukon and Northwest Territory)


IRP Information
Phone: 517-322-1097

Vehicle Registration Based on Gross Vehicle Weight (license plates):
All motor vehicles and trailers used on Michigan roads must be registered and display valid license plates. A registration shows the plate number and what vehicle that plate is registered to. To register a motor vehicle, provide either the previous registration or proof of insurance and ownership documents.


Contact the Department of State
Information Center toll-free number: 888-767-6424

SOS Branch Office Locator & Hours

Commercial Drivers License (CDL):
A commercial driver license is needed if you are operating a vehicle:
  • With a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
  • Towing a trailer or other vehicles with a GVWR of 10,001 pounds or more with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more
  • Designed to transport 16 or more people (including the driver)
  • Carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding
  CDL Information