- Introduction to Local Historic Districts
A brief overview of how local historic districts work in the State of Michigan.
- Criteria for Evaluating Resources for Inclusion in Local Historic Districts
- Local Historic Districts in Michigan
A list of the 78 Michigan communities have historic district ordinances.
- The Local Historic Districts Act, Public Act 169 of 1970
- Process for Establishing a Local Historic District
An overview of the process for establishing a local historic district in Michigan.
- Model Historic District Ordinance
- How to Write a Historic District Study Committee Report
- Local Historic Districts in Michigan, a Manual
- How to Appeal A Historic District Commission Decision
Information for residents of local historic districts
- Researching a Historic Property (NPS)
- The Attorney General's Opinions Regarding Local Preservation
Michigan's Attorney General has issued several opinions regarding historic preservation and local historic districts
- "Economic Hardship, Feasibility and Related Standards in Historic Preservation Law"
A primer on the relationship between economics and historic preservation law
- Creating Design Guidelines for the Historic Commercial District, a manual
- Working on the Past in Local Historic Districts (NPS)
Information about Local Historic Districts from the National Park Service.
- Contact Local Historic Districts Staff
How to contact us when you have questions about the Local Historic District program.