Upper Twin Falls Bridge Added to the National Register of Historic Places
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||
Contact: Jeff Bickert
|January 3, 2013||
LANSING - The State Historic Preservation Office, Michigan State Housing Development Authority, announced the addition of seven properties and historic districts to the National Register of Historic Places.
One site, the Upper Twin Falls Bridge, spans the Menominee River northwest of Iron Mountain and joins Breitung Township in the Upper Peninsula's Dickinson County, to the town of Florence, Florence County, Wisconsin. The nomination resulted from efforts by volunteers in Dickinson County but also made use of a previous draft nomination form prepared for the Wisconsin Historical Society. The nomination required the approval of the State of Wisconsin as well as Michigan. The approved version of the form reflected collaboration between the two states. Michigan's national register coordinator Robert Christensen presented the nomination to both the Wisconsin and Michigan State Historic Preservation Review Boards before forwarding it to the National Park Service in Washington, DC.
Christensen said the "Upper Twin Falls is the only example of a Camelback metal through truss highway bridge left in Michigan. These old metal truss bridges have become few and far between in the last few decades, and this one survived only because it has been bypassed since the 1970s. There seems to be interest on both sides of the river in keeping and using it as part of a trail system - hopefully this will come to pass."
"Listing in the National Register of Historic Places achieves a level of recognition that is important to property owners and communities," said State Historic Preservation Officer Brian Conway. "The designation of four historic districts will provide opportunities for property owners to use federal historic preservation tax credits for rehabilitating their buildings. The preservation of historic buildings preserves community identity. By rehabilitating and reusing these structures we contribute to economic growth without destroying what makes each community unique."
The most recent listings also include:
Center Avenue Neighborhood Historic District (Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation)
Roughly bounded by North Madison, Green, and Center Avenues, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, & Tenth Streets, Carroll Road and Nurmi Drive, Bay City
Upper Twin Falls Bridge
Over the Menominee River, Breitung Township, Dickinson County, Michigan, and the Town of Florence, Wisconsin
Williamston Downtown Historic District
First blocks of East and West Grand River Avenue and South Putnam Street, Williamston, Ingham County
Hanover High School Complex
105 Fairview Street, Hanover, Jackson County
Drake, Benjamin and Maria (Ogden), Farm
927 North Drake Road (Oshtemo Charter Township), Kalamazoo vicinity, Kalamazoo County
Grand Rapids Storage and Van Company Building
1415 Lake Drive SE., Grand Rapids, Kent County
Boyne City Central Historic District
South from Boyne River to Main Street east from Front Street along Ray and
Water Streets, Boyne Avenue to Pearl Street, Boyne City, Charlevoix County
In addition to the seven new listings, the Grand Circus Park Historic District designation was updated to provide for buildings built or renovated during the period 1930 to 1962. This will allow for the preservation of structures representing significant Modern design.
Michigan has more than 1,600 listings in the National Register of Historic Places, including some 250
districts made up of more than 20,000 properties. The State Historic Preservation Review Board considers nominations to the register three times per year. The review board forwards nominations to the keeper of the National Register, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. The State Historic Preservation Office coordinates the National Register Program in Michigan. For information on the National Register of Historic Places and other programs of the State Historic Preservation Office, visit www.michigan.gov/shpo or call (517) 373-1630.
The State Historic Preservation Office is part of the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) , which provides financial and technical assistance through public and private partnerships to create and preserve decent, affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents and to engage in community economic development activities to revitalize urban and rural communities.*
The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) is financed in part by a grant from the National Park Service, Department of Interior. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the Department of the Interior. The Department of the Interior prohibits discrimination on its federally funded assistance programs. If you believe you've been discriminated against please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity, National Park Service, 1849 C. St. NW, Washington DC 20240.
The Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) provides financial and technical assistance through public and private partnerships to create and preserve decent, affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents and to engage in community economic development activities to revitalize urban and rural communities.*
*MSHDA's loans and operating expenses are financed through the sale of tax-exempt and taxable bonds as well as notes to private investors, not from state tax revenues. Proceeds are loaned at below-market interest rates to developers of rental housing, and help fund mortgages and home improvement loans. MSHDA also administers several federal housing programs. For more information, visit www.michigan.gov/mshda.