close print view
December 8, 2010 - Give the Gift of Preparedness this Holiday
With the onset of winter weather statewide and the holiday season upon us, the Michigan State Police, Emergency Management and Homeland Security Division (MSP/EMHSD) is offering gift ideas that will help keep your family and friends prepared throughout winter.
Purchasing preparedness items can serve as a great starting point to ensuring loved ones are ready when an emergency happens, such as being "snowed in" from a severe snowstorm or being stranded on the side of the road. In addition to purchasing preparedness gifts, the holiday season provides an opportunity for families to discuss what they will do during an emergency and to develop or update an emergency communications plan.
"Giving the gift of preparedness is one of the most important things citizens can do to ensure the safety of their family and friends," said Capt. W. Thomas Sands, commander of the MSP/EMHSD. "Being prepared can be as simple as storing an extra supply of water and canned goods, or discussing with family and friends where you will meet if you become separated during an emergency."
Possible holiday gift ideas that may be of use during an emergency include:
- Emergency preparedness kit for home and office (i.e., food, water and prescription medications for 72 hours; first aid kit, flashlight, emergency contact information and extra clothing)
- Vehicle emergency kit (emergency flares, shovel, ice scraper, flashlight, blanket, food and water)
- Battery-powered or hand crank NOAA weather radio
- Hand crank flashlight
- Smoke detectors
- Fire extinguishers (for kitchen, garage and car)
- Pet disaster kit (food, water, leash, dishes and carrying case or crate)
For additional information on how to prepare before an emergency, visit the MSP/EMHSD website at www.michigan.gov/emhsd or Twitter page at www.twitter.com/MichEMHS.