Unfortunate incidents, like the shootings at the movie theater in Aurora, Colo. and Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn., show the importance of remaining vigilant, reporting suspicious activity, and having a plan to prevent and respond to an active shooter. Remember: If an active shooter incident should occur, the best thing to do is to "Run, Hide and Fight."
- Run if a safe path is available. Always try to escape or evacuate even if others insist on staying.
- Encourage others to leave with you, but do not let the indecision of others slow down your effort to escape.
- Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from walking into the danger zone and call 9-1-1.
- If you cannot get out safely, find a place to hide.
- When hiding, turn out lights, remember to lock doors, and silence your ringer and vibration mode on your cell phone.
- As a last resort, working together or alone, act with aggression, use improvised weapons, and fight.
Run, Hide, Fight - Surviving an Active Shooter, Video