Welcome to the ORS website for members of the Judges Retirement System who are in the 401(k) Defined Contribution plan.
We encourage you to and come back often for important information.
1. How can I enroll in the 401(k) Defined Contribution or 401(k)/457 Deferred Compensation Plans?
2. How does a Defined Benefit Plan differ from a Defined Contribution Plan?
Our office will be closed on the following dates:
- May 30, 2016 - Memorial Day
- July 4, 2016 - Fourth of July
- September 5, 2016 - Labor Day
- November 8, 2016 - Election Day
- November 11, 2016 - Veterans Day
State office closings for holidays are regulated by the Michigan Department of Civil Service Regulation 5.08. Public Act 124 of 1865 is the Michigan law governing official state holidays.
Published March 10, 2016
The Office of Retirement Services announced on January 12, 2016, that everyone enrolled in our retiree non-Medicare PPO health care plan (administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan) would receive Form 1095-B in the mail by January 31, 2016. The 1095-B forms will now be in the mail by February 5, 2016, and you should receive your form about 3-5 business days after they hit the mail. We apologize for the delay.
Information and instructions will be included with the 1095-B form. For specific guidance on information found on the 1095-B statement, contact your tax professional or the IRS.
January 12, 2016 - Everyone enrolled in our retiree non-Medicare PPO health care plan (administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan) at any time in 2015 will receive Form 1095-B in the mail from the Office of Retirement Services by January 31, 2016. Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and Medicare are responsible for providing Form 1095-B to anyone covered by either of those entities.
Form 1095-B is a health coverage statement, required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The form is used to report health coverage of individuals who meet minimum essential coverage standards to the IRS on income tax returns. It is your responsibility to make copies of the 1095-B form for your spouse and/or dependents. For specific guidance on information found on the 1095-B statement, contact your tax professional or the IRS.
The IRS has published some general questions and answers about the new health care reporting forms, including what to do with them.
Published on January 29, 2016
The U. S. Supreme Court ruling of June 26, 2015 recognizes the marriages of same-sex couples. If you have been recently married, or will be getting married, as a result of this ruling—or if you were previously legally married in a state that recognized same-sex marriage—ORS can help answer questions about your pension and insurance benefits. The easiest way to contact us is to log in to miAccount and send a secure message using the miAccount Message Board. Please be as specific as you can. We’ll research your account and get back with you with answers to your questions and suggestions as to what you need to do next.
Published July 2, 2015
- The U. S. Supreme Court decision announced on Friday June 26, 2015 officially recognized same-sex marriages in all 50 states. We are working with the Michigan Attorney General's office and will post more specific information very soon.
Published June 26, 2015
- Come join the conversation online with ORS on Twitter! We'll be sharing helpful information about retirement planning, links to free resources provided by ORS, and news updates - all to help you prepare for retirement. Click here to see the page - make sure you sign in and click the "Follow" button on the page so you'll see our updates: www.twitter.com/MichiganORS
Published November 14, 2014
- Welcome to the new look of the Judges Defined Contribution Plan website and miAccount! This update is only one of many we'll be making over the next year to make our site more accessible and easier to use.
Published May 5, 2014