Welcome to the ORS website for Michigan State Police. Membership in the retirement plan is automatic for enlisted officers who have completed recruit school and subscribed to the constitutional oath of office before June, 2012.
If you became part of the Michigan State Police in June of 2012 or later, you are a member of the Pension Plus plan. Your website is www.mipensionplus.org.
If you work for the Michigan State Police but are not an enlisted officer, you may have retirement benefits as a state of Michigan employee. Click here to see if you are a member of the State Employees' Retirement System.
We encourage our enlisted Michigan State Police members to and come back often for important information.
The Office of Retirement Services announced on January 12, 2016, that everyone enrolled in our retiree non-Medicare PPO health care plan (administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan) would receive Form 1095-B in the mail by January 31, 2016. The 1095-B forms will now be in the mail by February 5, 2016, and you should receive your form about 3-5 business days after they hit the mail. We apologize for the delay.
Information and instructions will be included with the 1095-B form. For specific guidance on information found on the 1095-B statement, contact your tax professional or the IRS.
January 12, 2016 - Everyone enrolled in our retiree non-Medicare PPO health care plan (administered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan) at any time in 2015 will receive Form 1095-B in the mail from the Office of Retirement Services by January 31, 2016. Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) and Medicare are responsible for providing Form 1095-B to anyone covered by either of those entities.
Form 1095-B is a health coverage statement, required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The form is used to report health coverage of individuals who meet minimum essential coverage standards to the IRS on income tax returns. It is your responsibility to make copies of the 1095-B form for your spouse and/or dependents. For specific guidance on information found on the 1095-B statement, contact your tax professional or the IRS.
The IRS has published some general questions and answers about the new health care reporting forms, including what to do with them.
Published on January 29, 2016
1099-R statements for 2015 are now available in miAccount. Log in and click on Pension Payments to access your statement. A printed statement will be mailed by the end of January.
Published on January 4, 2016
- The October 2015 issue of Connections, our semiannual retiree newsletter, is now available. Articles in this issue include:
- From the Director
- Safeguarding Personal Health Information
- Where ORS Retirees Live
- What’s Hot in Social Media
Published October 23, 2015
- Our office will be closed on the following dates:
- November 11 - Veterans Day
- November 26 & 27 - Thanksgiving
- December 24 - Christmas Eve
- December 25 - Christmas Day
- December 31 - New Year's Eve
- January 1 - New Year's Day
State office closings for holidays are regulated by the Michigan Department of Civil Service Regulation 5.08. Public Act 124 of 1865 is the Michigan law governing official state holidays.
Published December 8, 2014
The U. S. Supreme Court ruling of June 26, 2015 recognizes the marriages of same-sex couples. If you have been recently married, or will be getting married, as a result of this ruling—or if you were previously legally married in a state that recognized same-sex marriage—ORS can help answer questions about your pension and insurance benefits. The easiest way to contact us is to log in to miAccount and send a secure message using the miAccount Message Board. Please be as specific as you can. We’ll research your account and get back with you with answers to your questions and suggestions as to what you need to do next.
Published July 2, 2015
- The U. S. Supreme Court decision announced on Friday June 26, 2015 officially recognized same-sex marriages in all 50 states. We are working with the Michigan Attorney General's office and will post more specific information very soon.
Published June 26, 2015
Other Items of Interest
- Connections Read the latest Connections, the newsletter we deliver twice a year to our retirees.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs) The Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports contain a wealth of interesting figures and statistics about the State Police Retirement System.
- About the State Police Retirement System The Michigan State Police Retirement System is a statewide public employee retirement plan administered by the Office of Retirement Services.
- Retirement Act: Public Act 182 of 1986 The operation of State Police Retirement System is controlled by the State Police Retirement Act—Public Act 182 of 1986, as amended.