Dependent Coverage

Eligible dependents for health, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance plans include:

  • Your spouse. If he or she is an eligible public school retiree, you will be covered together on one contract.
  • Your unmarried child by birth or legal adoption until December 31 of the year in which he or she turns age 19.
  • Your unmarried child by legal guardianship until age 18. 
  • Your unmarried child by birth or legal adoption until December 31 of the year in which he or she reaches age 25 if a full-time student and dependent on you for support. 
  • Your unmarried child by birth or legal adoption who is totally and permanently disabled, dependent on you for support, and unable to self-sustain employment. 
  • Either your parent(s) or parent(s)-in-law residing in your household - one set of parents or the other, but not both.

Coverage for your eligible dependents is the same as yours. 

In the case of legal adoption, a child is eligible for coverage as of the date of placement. Placement occurs when you become legally obligated for the total or partial support of the child in anticipation of adoption.

Required proof.

You will be asked to provide photocopies of the following: marriage certificate if you're adding a spouse, birth certificates as proof of age and relationship, tax returns as proof of dependency, school records as proof of full-time attendance, court orders to prove legal guardianship, and driver's license or tax returns as proof of residence for your parent(s) or parent(s)-in-law.

To ensure coverage for your incapacitated child, you will need to provide a current letter from the attending physician stating the child is totally and permanently disabled and incapable of self-sustaining employment and detailing the disability, and the IRS form 1040 that identifies the child as your dependent. In some cases we may ask for additional information to determine medical eligibility. Sometimes this may delay enrollment. You may also be asked to furnish proof of incapacitation and dependency each year.

Click here to view the comprehensive list of documents you need to submit for an insurance dependent.

The timeframe to submit enrollment request and proofs for dependents is the same as enrolling yourself in insurances. Click here for information on deadlines to submit request and proofs.

Additional notes about insurance for your dependents.

  • If you choose a survivor option for your pension and you have the Premium Subsidy benefit, your designated pension beneficiary can enroll in or continue group insurances after your death. If you choose your spouse as your survivor pension beneficiary, your eligible dependents who were covered at the time of your death will also continue to receive insurance benefits, as long as they remain eligible.
  • A federal law known as COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act), allows your spouse or child the option of paying for continued health insurance coverage for up to 36 months after a qualifying event that results in the loss of eligibility. Your health insurance carrier may also offer a conversion policy for the dependents. Your dependents will be notified of these options by the health insurance carrier. Contact the insurance carrier for more information.
  • Recent federal law changes extended coverage to adult children up through the age of 26; however, the federal government has determined that this provision of the law does not apply to non-federal governmental retiree only plans, like the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System.  Because of this, your dependents are not automatically eligible for the health plan until age 26 as they were under your active employer insurance plan.
  • If you divorce, your former spouse's coverage ceases as of the end of the month in which the divorce occurs. He or she may be eligible for COBRA continuation, however.
  • If you are enrolling a disabled child, we may ask for additional information to determine medical eligibility. Sometimes this may delay enrollment.