Parental Leave

Note: Active members hired before July 1, 2010 and still participating in the defined benefit pension plan who intend to initiate a service credit purchase must ensure the full payment for the amount of service they wish to buy or a fully completed tax-deferred payment agreement is received in our office by 5:00 p.m. EDT, September 29, 2017.


As long as you are an active member in the MIP, MIP 7%, Basic, or Basic 4% plan, and you have at least 2 years of earned service with the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System, you may purchase up to 5 years of service credit for parental leave.

Parental leave is (1) the active participation or supervision in the day-to-day, ongoing care of your child by birth or adoption; or (2) a pregnancy, whether brought to full term or not, childbirth, and recuperation.

If you are applying for time you separated from an out-of system public educational agency, you must also submit a completed Out-of-System Public Education Service Credit Application (R0149C).

Note: Buying service can help you qualify for your pension earlier, but it won't necessarily help you qualify for the plan's health insurance premium subsidy earlier. Read more information here.


  • You must have either separated or reduced your hours from a Michigan public school or an out-of-system public educational agency.
  • If you separated from State of Michigan service performed under the Defined Benefit plan for parental leave purposes and later become employed with a participating Michigan public school, you may purchase this service. If your State of Michigan service was performed under the Defined Contribution (DC) plan, you are not eligible for this service.
  • Your employer(s) must certify the date you separated or reduced hours from a participating Michigan public school.
  • This service cannot be used to satisfy vesting requirements.
  • You may purchase this service before you are vested, but it will not be credited to you until you reach vested status.
  • For additional conditions, go to Adding to Your Service Credit.


You may purchase any fraction of a year increment. The cost to purchase parental leave rearing time is based on an actuarial formula. Learn how to calculate actuarial cost.


Submit a Parental Leave Service Credit Application (R0008C) with a copy of your child's birth certificate or final adoption papers. If you are also applying for time you separated from an out-of-system public educational agency, you must also submit an Out-of-System Public Educational Service Credit (R0149C) application.

Follow the directions provided on the form. For more information on purchasing service credit, see How to Purchase Service Credit.