Nonpublic Education Service
You may purchase up to five years of service rendered with a qualified nonpublic school anywhere in the U.S. or its territorial possessions. Qualified nonpublic elementary or secondary schools are those that offer a course of academic study primarily oriented toward awarding high school diplomas.
Nonpublic two- or four-year higher educational institutions qualify if they offer an academic course primarily oriented toward awarding associate, baccalaureate, master's, doctoral, or other academic degrees.
- This service cannot be used to satisfy vesting requirements.
- You may purchase this service before you are vested, but it will not be credited to you until you reach vested status.
- Your nonpublic educational employment must be followed by at least five years of service within this retirement system.
- Your former employer(s) must certify your service.
- If, at any point in time you accumulated enough service credit to qualify for a pension based on this service, you cannot purchase the service unless you have relinquished all rights to the pension benefit for the previous employment.
- If you are eligible to receive any employer contributions made on your behalf to a 401(k) or other qualified retirement plan, you cannot purchase the service unless you have relinquished all rights to the employer contributions to that account.
- Distributions, transfers, or refunds are not considered a relinquishment.
- If you have received any employer contributions made on your behalf to a 401(k) or other qualified retirement plan, you cannot purchase the service.
- For additional conditions, go to Adding to Your Service Credit.
You may purchase any fraction of a year increment. Your cost is the actuarial rate in effect at the time of payment. Click here to learn how to calculate actuarial cost.
Submit an Out-of-System Public or Nonpublic Educational Service (R0149C) application. Follow the directions provided on the form.
For more information on purchasing service credit, see How to Purchase Service Credit.