- MDOT is suspending as much work as possible from 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29, until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 2.
- AAA Michigan estimates 1.12 million Michigan residents will travel this holiday weekend.
- Up-to-date construction and traffic information is available on the MDOT Mi Drive website: www.michigan.gov/drive.
August 27, 2014 -- To ease travel, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is once again halting a majority of its road projects for the Labor Day holiday weekend. AAA Michigan estimates 1.12 million motorists will be using Michigan roads and bridges during the last weekend before school starts.
Beginning at 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29, and continuing until 6 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 2, 126 out of 156 projects statewide will have lane restrictions lifted. While some construction zones will be halted for the weekend, equipment and lane shifts will stay in place for remaining projects, requiring drivers to adjust their speed and pay attention.
"While many drivers will be enjoying this last holiday weekend, it's important to remember that safety on the roads requires year-round attention," said State Transportation Director Kirk T. Steudle. "Always buckle up, follow the posted speed limit, and don't use your phone or text while driving. Let's all work to ensure everyone has a great Labor Day weekend and makes it home safely."
For up-to-date information on MDOT projects, view the list of statewide lane closures at: www.michigan.gov/drive.
The following is a list of work zones that will remain active during the Labor Day weekend.
- I-75 near Rudyard, Chippewa County, will have a posted detour in effect for two projects between M-134 and M-48.
- M-26, Houghton County, will have two lanes open between the Portage Lake Lift Bridge and Dollar Bay with a temporary roadway.
- M-149 near Manistique, Schoolcraft County, will have a posted detour in effect at Dufour Creek.
- US-2 in Ironwood, Gogebic County, will have eastbound traffic detoured via local roads in Hurley, Wis., and Ironwood.
- US-2 near Manistique, Schoolcraft County, will have one lane open in each direction from east of the Delta/Schoolcraft county line to M-149. Wide loads restricted.
For more information, contact Dan Weingarten, Superior Region Communications Representative, at 906-250-4809.
North Lower Peninsula
- US-23, Iosco County, will have a traffic shift south of Oscoda. Wide loads restricted.
- Old US-131, Wexford County, will be closed to through-traffic from Boon Road to US-131 near Cadillac. Detour on US-131.
For more information, contact James Lake, North Region Communications Representative, at 906-250-0993.
- M-45 (Lake Michigan Drive), Ottawa County, has traffic shifted in each direction at 120th Avenue. Northbound 120th Avenue is closed at M-45.
For more information, contact John Richard, Grand Region Communications Representative, at 616-262-1565.
- I-94 in Lincoln Township, Berrien County, has one lane open in each direction between Three Oaks Road and I-196 (Exit 34).
- I-94 Business Loop (Stadium Drive) in Kalamazoo, Kalamazoo County, has lane closures from 11th Street to just east of Seneca Drive.
- I-196, Allegan County, has lane closures from US-31 to the Allegan/Ottawa county line.
- M-37 (Hanover Street) in Hastings, Barry County, has one lane open in each direction between M-79 and Green Street.
- M-227 in Marshall, Calhoun County, has the northbound lane closed from Kalamazoo Avenue to Winston Drive. A detour is posted.
For more information, contact Nick Schirripa, Southwest Region Communications Representative, at 269-208-7829.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-69 near Flint, Genesee County, will have shoulder closures from I-475 west to just past M-15. All lanes will be open.
- I-75, Saginaw County, will have the following restrictions in place from Janes Road to the I-675 north junction:
- 10 p.m. Monday, Aug. 25 - 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 30:
- Northbound I-75 will have all lanes open.
- Southbound I-75 traffic will be detoured to southbound I-675.
- 7 - 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 30:
- Northbound and southbound I-75 will be detoured to I-675.
- 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 30 - end of construction season:
- Southbound I-75 will have all lanes open.
- Northbound I-75 traffic will be detoured to I-675.
- M-24 in Lapeer, Lapeer County, will have one lane closed in each direction with traffic shifted from south of I-69 to Powers Street.
- US-10/M-47 interchange in Midland, Midland County, will have the following restrictions in place:
- Westbound US-10 will have shoulder closures.
- The northbound M-47 ramp to westbound US-10 will be closed with traffic detoured.
- The westbound US-10 ramp to southbound M-47 will be closed with traffic detoured.
- US-23, Arenac County, will have the following restrictions in place at the Rifle River:
- Northbound US-23 will have one lane open.
- Southbound US-23 will have two lanes open.
For more information, contact Anita Richardson, Bay Region Communications Representative, at 989-239-1732.
- I-94 Business Loop (Jackson Road) in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County, will have one lane open in each direction between the I-94 ramps and Maple Road.
- I-96, Livingston County, has the rest area off eastbound I-96 near Howell closed for construction.
- M-125 in Monroe, Monroe County, will have one lane open in each direction between Stewart and Nadeau roads.
- US-127, Ingham County, will have bridge work at several local roads over US-127 between Mason and Leslie. Barnes Road and South Street will be closed with a detour posted. There will be shoulder closures in each direction on US-127.
- US-127, Jackson County, will have one lane open in each direction between Parnell Road and Henry Road, with a traffic shift.
For more information, contact Kari Arend, University Region Communications Representative, at 517-206-1609.
Metro Detroit Region
- I-96 in Livonia is closed in each direction between Newburgh Road and US-24 (Telegraph Road). Also, the I-96 express lanes/ramps are closed between M-39 (Southfield Freeway) and US-24. Schoolcraft Road has one lane open between I-275 to US-24.
- M-1 (Woodward Avenue) is closed between Adams Avenue and Larned Avenue. One lane will be open in each direction (along with a center turn lane) between Adams Avenue and Mack Avenue/Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, and between Warren Avenue and Grand Boulevard.
- M-85 (Fort Street) is closed in each direction between Oakwood Boulevard and Miller Road. One lane is open between Miller Street and Dearborn Street.
- M-5 has two lanes shifted to the shoulder between Maple Road and Pontiac Trail.
- M-53 has one lane closed in each direction between Helen Avenue and the Red Run Drain.
St. Clair County
- I-94/I-69 in Port Huron has the following lane restrictions in effect:
- One lane is open in each direction between Range Road and Lapeer Road.
- The eastbound I-94 ramps to I-69 and I-69 Business Loop are closed.
- Michigan Road is closed over I-94/I-69.
- Lapeer Road has one lane closed in each direction under I-94/I-69.
For more information, contact Diane Cross, Metro Region Communications Representative, at email@example.com or 248-752-0336.
Roadway Work Zone Safety - We're All in This Together.