Escanaba Defense Fuel Supply Point
Escanaba Defense Fuel Supply Point is a site which reflects known PFAS levels. Based on environmental and health concerns, further review and possible action may be necessary to best protect public health. More details about this location will be made available as soon as possible.
- Escanaba Defense is located on the Little Bay de Noc shoreline and was a bulk fuel storage facility that supplied jet fuel to the former K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base in Gwinn via pipeline.
- The site first came to the DEQ’s attention in April 2014.
- Between 2015 and 2016, the DEQ approved work plans for site assessment, coordinated local communications, and reviewed the completed site assessment.
- In 2015 soil and groundwater samples were collected. From 2015 to 2016, seven residential wells were sampled.
- No drinking water exposures have been identified at this time.
- Surface water and sediment samples were collected in 2017. Results are under review, and the next steps will be determined based on the results.