Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    Do I need a commercial plate on my vehicle?

    The Department has two types of commercial plates available - a "regular" commercial plate and an elected gross vehicle weight (GVW) commercial plate.

    The following vehicles use the "regular" commercial plate:

    • A vehicle used to transport persons for hire (e.g., taxi, bus, limousine)
    • Company-owned pickups and vans up to 8,000 pounds
    • A vehicle up to 8,000 pounds used commercially to transport goods, wares, or merchandise (e.g., stake truck, tank, dump, utility) including passenger vehicles used commercially
    • Ambulances and hearses

    The following vehicles require GVW plates:

    • All trucks weighing over 8,000 pounds (empty) used commercially
    • All semi tractors used commercially
    • Trucks weighing 8,000 pounds or less (empty) towing a trailer or any other vehicle for commercial purposes (This does not include pickups and vans under 8,001 lbs. towing a trailer. They use regular fees as if there was no trailer).

    The GVW plate fee is based on the truck's maximum elected gross vehicle weight (GVW). Elected gross vehicle weight is the empty weight of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, fully equipped for service, plus the weight of the maximum load that the owner has elected to carry.



    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    Related Content
     •  Can I return a newly bought vehicle within a certain time period?
     •  What should I do if I have a complaint about a car dealer or manager?
     •  If I just bought a vehicle, can I drive it home without it being registered?
     •  Should I expect the used car I'm buying to have a warranty?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from an individual?
     •  What do I need to sell my car by myself?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from a dealership?
     •  How do I verify whether a motor vehicle repair facility is properly licensed or registered by the Department of State?
     •  How do I file a complaint against a dealership, repair facility or mechanic?
     •  What do I need to know about leasing a vehicle?
     •  Do I need to show proof of insurance each time I renew my plate?
     •  Can I renew my plate without going to a Secretary of State office?
     •  I did not receive my renewal form, can you resend me another renewal form?
     •  How can I renew my registration while I am out of state?
     •  How soon should I put my new license plate and tab on my vehicle?
     •  Should I notify anyone about my new license plate?
     •  Can I still keep my Great Lakes Splendor or Auto Centennial license plate?
     •  I sold my vehicle and there are no plans to replace it. What do I do with the license plate?
     •  What license plates are available for order?
     •  What is considered a moped? Are they registered?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan