The Board of State Canvassers will conduct a hearing Aug. 23. UPDATED
- - UPDATED NOTICE - -
Please note new location
YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT THE BOARD OF STATE CANVASSERS WILL CONDUCT A HEARING ON MONDAY, AUGUST 23, 2010 AT 10:00 A.M. IN ROOMS 201-202 OF THE LANSING CENTER, 333 E. MICHIGAN AVE., LANSING, MICHIGAN.
Included on the Agenda will be:
- Consideration of meeting minutes for approval.
- Canvass and certification of the August 3, 2010 primary.
- Canvass and certification of the August 3, 2010 special election conducted in Schoolcraft County to subject Grant Harris, Schoolcraft County Sheriff, to a recall vote.
- Consideration of initiative petition form submitted for approval by Michigan Is Yours, 672 Woodbridge, Suite 201A, Detroit, Michigan 48226. (Petition would amend the State Constitution to authorize casino gaming at no more than seven casinos located in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit, Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport, Benton Harbor, Flint and Port Huron.)
- Assignment of ballot designations to statewide ballot proposals qualified to appear on the November 2, 2010 general election ballot.
- Determination of ballot wording for the two statewide proposals identified below:
- CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION: Proposal to convene a constitutional convention for the purpose of drafting a general revision of the State Constitution. Placement of the proposal on the ballot required under the State Constitution, Art. XII, Sec. 3.
- SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION V: Adopted by the State Senate June 10, 2010; adopted by the State House June 17, 2010. Would amend the State Constitution to ban certain felons from holding elective office and specified types of public employment positions.
- Consideration of "new political party" petition filed on July 14, 2010 by the Tea Party, P.O. Box 23, Richville, Michigan 48757
- Such other and further business as may be properly presented to the Board.
The staff's recommended ballot wording for the two statewide proposals listed above will be released on Thursday, August 19, 2010. The recommended ballot wording will be available on the Department of State's Web site after its release <www.michigan.gov/sos>.
Christopher M. Thomas, Secretary
Board of State Canvassers
A person may address the Board on any agenda item at the end of the hearing. A person who wishes to address the Board on an agenda item at the time the item is being discussed must submit a written request to the Chairperson of the Board prior to the opening of the meeting. Persons addressing the Board are allotted three minutes.
People with disabilities needing accommodations for effective participation in this meeting should contact Lydia Valles at (517) 241-4662 (voice) or (517) 241-4320 (TDD) one day in advance to request mobility, visual, hearing or other assistance.