The Board of State Canvassers will conduct a hearing Aug. 23. UPDATED
- - UPDATED NOTICE - -
Please note new location
YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT THE BOARD OF STATE CANVASSERS WILL CONDUCT A
HEARING ON MONDAY, AUGUST 23, 2010 AT 10:00 A.M. IN ROOMS 201-202 OF THE LANSING
CENTER, 333 E. MICHIGAN AVE., LANSING, MICHIGAN.
Included on the Agenda will be:
- Consideration of meeting minutes for approval.
- Canvass and certification of the August 3, 2010 primary.
- Canvass and certification of the August 3, 2010 special election
conducted in Schoolcraft County to subject Grant Harris, Schoolcraft County
Sheriff, to a recall vote.
- Consideration of initiative petition form submitted for approval by
Michigan Is Yours, 672 Woodbridge, Suite 201A, Detroit, Michigan 48226.
(Petition would amend the State Constitution to authorize casino gaming at
no more than seven casinos located in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit,
Detroit Wayne County Metropolitan Airport, Benton Harbor, Flint and Port
- Assignment of ballot designations to statewide ballot proposals
qualified to appear on the November 2, 2010 general election ballot.
- Determination of ballot wording for the two statewide proposals
- CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION: Proposal to convene a
constitutional convention for the purpose of drafting a general revision
of the State Constitution. Placement of the proposal on the ballot
required under the State Constitution, Art. XII, Sec. 3.
- SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION V: Adopted by the State Senate June
10, 2010; adopted by the State House June 17, 2010. Would amend the
State Constitution to ban certain felons from holding elective office
and specified types of public employment positions.
- Consideration of "new political party" petition filed on July 14, 2010
by the Tea Party, P.O. Box 23, Richville, Michigan 48757
- Such other and further business as may be properly presented to the
The staff's recommended ballot wording for the two statewide proposals listed
above will be released on Thursday, August 19, 2010. The recommended ballot wording will be
available on the Department of State's Web site after its release
Christopher M. Thomas, Secretary
Board of State Canvassers
A person may address the Board on any agenda item at the end of the hearing.
A person who wishes to address the Board on an agenda item at the time the item
is being discussed must submit a written request to the Chairperson of the Board
prior to the opening of the meeting. Persons addressing the Board are allotted
People with disabilities needing accommodations for effective participation
in this meeting should contact Lydia Valles at (517) 241-4662 (voice) or (517)
241-4320 (TDD) one day in advance to request mobility, visual, hearing or other