Skip Navigation
SOS - Secretary of State | SOS Secretary of State | SOS
Secretary of State | SOS
Email this Page
Share this Link on Facebook
Tweet this page on Twitter!
  Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
Where should I file a UCC financing statement?

The Uniform Commercial Code designates where to file based on the location of the debtor. The collateral location no longer determines where to file. Filings for organizations are made in the state where the organization is registered. Filings for individuals are made in the state of residence. Filing in the wrong office is not a rejection reason listed in the statute.

Within the state of organization or residence, mortgages, fixtures, minerals and timber are filed with the county Register of Deeds. All other types of collateral, including transmitting utilities, should be filed with the State UCC Office.


If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mailand we will help you get the information you need.

Copyright © 2015 State of Michigan