- Name Change on a Registration Owners with a name change can correct their registration
- Address Change on a Registration
By changing the address on your driver license, any vehicles with your driver license number on the registration will automatically be updated on the Secretary of State's record with your new address.
- 30-Day and 60-Day Temporary Registration Permits
Some Michigan residents, including those serving in the military, may use their vehicles only occasionally or may be out of the country for extended periods of time.
- Inheriting a Vehicle - Registration Status When the vehicle title of a deceased owner is transferred to the spouse's name or next closest kin's name, the license plate remains on the vehicle and is transferred into the relative's name.
- Military Personnel and Michigan Residents Out-of-State Needing to Renew a Vehicle Registration
Several options are available to Michigan residents and military personnel who are temporarily out of state and wish to renew a car, truck, trailer, motorcycle or recreational vehicle registration.
- New Michigan Residents
New residents must obtain Michigan license plates right away
- Self-Service Stations Use this convenient option to pick up new tabs for your license plate.
- License Plate Tabs Placement instructions; replacing a lost tab
- Lost or Stolen License Plate
If your license plate was lost or stolen, you can obtain a replacement license plate at a Secretary of State Branch Office for $5.00.
- Transferring a License Plate
Under certain circumstances, license plates may be transferred to another vehicle.
- Insurance Requirements Michigan no-fault insurance is required before registering most vehicles. Out-of-state insurance policies cannot be used.
- Michigan State Park Recreation Passport The Recreation Passport is your $11 ticket to Michigan's state parks and outdoor adventures! Check "YES" when you renew your license plate. Where can $11 take you?