Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    30-Day and 60-Day Temporary Registration Permits

    Some Michigan residents, including those serving in the military,  may use their vehicles* only occasionally or may be out of the country for extended periods of time. Rather than purchasing or renewing a full-year license plate, these owners may buy a 30-day temporary permit or 60-day temporary permit for short-term use of their vehicle.

    The cost of each permit is a portion of the vehicle's annual registration fee:

    The 30-day permit fee is 1/10 the annual registration fee or $20, whichever is greater, plus a $10 service fee.

    The 60-day permit fee is 1/5 the annual registration fee or $40, whichever is greater, plus a $10 service fee.

    The owner or owner's representative may apply for the 30-day or 60-day permit at any Secretary of State branch office. Present proof of ownership such as the vehicle's Michigan title or expired plate registration. Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance is required to purchase a 30-day or 60-day permit (except trailers).

    For additional information about temporary permits, call the Department of State Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).

    * Trailers and vehicles requiring a Gross Vehicle Weight plate are eligible for a 30-day or 60-day permit. However, no load may be carried.

    Related Content
     •  Inheriting a Vehicle - Registration Status
     •  Military Personnel and Michigan Residents Out-of-State Needing to Renew a Vehicle Registration
     •  New Michigan Residents
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan