Driver License Hearing Request
If You Are Appealing:
A denial/revocation as a result of multiple substance abuse convictions: It is necessary to submit documentation of sobriety. Documentation includes, but is not limited to the following:
- A current substance abuse evaluation that is dated no later than 3 months prior to submission.
- Three to six community support letters.
- Documentary evidence of attendance at support meetings.
- Ignition Interlock final report if granted restrictions at previous hearing and ordered to install device (obtain this from the company).
To obtain a substance use evaluation form (also available online) or to get more information regarding the driver license appeal hearing and your eligibility date, call 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424).
An out-of-state substance abuse conviction from an arrest prior to 10/1/99 which resulted in a Michigan suspension, or any out-of-state conviction with an arrest date after 10/1/99.
If you have previously served a suspension/restriction of similar duration in the state where the conviction occurred, you may request a driver license appeal hearing to waive all or part of the Michigan suspension/restriction.
If you believe you are eligible to have your suspension/restriction waived, put your request for evaluation in writing and send the following:
- Proof of out-of-state suspension/restriction (from and through dates).
- Proof of living in that state during the period of suspension/restriction. This may include rent receipts, employment records, utility bills, military records, etc.
- Proof of out-of-state license at the time of the conviction in question.
- Proof that you did not have a Michigan license during the suspension period.
A Driver Assessment action or branch office denial:
Driver Assessment actions and branch office denials are appealable to the Administrative Hearing Section within 14 days.
You may request an appeal immediately for any suspension, revocation or denial resulting from a conviction on a legal issue only. If you have a legal issue, please describe this in detail on your request for hearing.
Mail Requests For Hearing To:
Legal and Regulatory Services Administration
P.O. Box 30196
Lansing, Michigan 48909-7696|
Or Fax: 517-335-2190
All requests for hearings must be in writing and mailed or faxed to the address or fax number listed above. If you have questions regarding your appeal rights, contact our Information Center at 1-888-SOS-MICH (1-888-767-6424).
Note: Televideo hearings are conducted at various locations throughout the State. If you are scheduled for a televideo hearing, all documentation must be submitted in advance.
Driver License Appeal Practice Manual
Request for Hearing - WORD (SOS-257/258)
Request for Hearing PDF (SOS-257/258)
SOS-258 Substance Use Evaluation