close print view
Renewing Early for Michigan Residents
Renewing Early - Branch Office
A driver's license may be renewed up to 12 months early at a branch office if you are unable to renew it on time for any reason.
Be sure to bring the following:
- Your driver's license or proper identification.
- Glasses or contact lenses if you need them to drive.
- Payment. All Secretary of State offices accept cash, checks, money orders, Discover and MasterCard at the counter. To find the nearest branch office visit the
Branch Office Locator.
You must pass a vision screening.
If you are renewing a
standard license and your Social Security number has not been verified by the
department, you will be asked to provide proof of a valid Social Security number
OR a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and
proof of legal presence. (You must have a valid Social Security number to
obtain or renew an enhanced license - a letter of ineligibility will not be
Renewing Early - Online
You may also renew your standard driver's license online through
to 12 months early if you:
- Are a U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Did not renew by mail or online the last
Pay with Discover, MasterCard or Visa debit or
credit cards. Online renewal is not yet available for enhanced driver's