Renewing Early for Michigan Residents
Renewing Early - Branch Office
A driver's license may be renewed up to 12 months early at a branch office if you are unable to renew it on time for any reason.
Be sure to bring the following:
- Your driver's license or proper identification.
- Glasses or contact lenses if you need them to drive.
- Payment. All Secretary of State offices accept cash, checks, money orders, Discover, MasterCard or Visa debit or credit cards at the counter. To find the nearest branch office, visit the Branch Office Locator.
You must pass a vision screening.
If you are renewing a standard license and your Social Security number has not been verified by the department, you will be asked to provide proof of a valid Social Security number OR a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of legal presence. (You must have a valid Social Security number to obtain or renew an enhanced license - a letter of ineligibility will not be accepted.)
Renewing Early - Online
You may also renew your standard driver's license online through ExpressSOS up to 12 months early if you:
- Are a U.S. citizen.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Did not renew by mail or online the last time.
Pay with Discover, MasterCard or Visa debit or credit cards. Online renewal is not yet available for enhanced driver's licenses.