Renewing a Driver License by Mail
You may renew your valid Michigan driver's license by mail if all of the following conditions apply:
- You have an operator's or chauffeurs license. (You cannot renew a Commercial Driver License by mail.)
- You are not listed on the sex offender registry.
- You did not renew by mail last time.
- Your Social Security number has been verified with the Social Security Administration.
Approximately 45 days before a driver's license is due to expire, the Secretary of State will mail a renewal notice to the last address listed on the Department of State's records. If you are eligible to renew by mail, it will say so on your renewal notice. If your renewal notice shows "You cannot renew your license by mail," you must visit a Secretary of State office to renew.
Drivers who renew by mail are not required to take a vision test. However, drivers eligible to renew by mail who choose to renew at a branch office will be required to take the vision test.
Once your renewal application has been processed, your new photo license will be mailed to you. It is valid for up to four years.
You must renew at a branch office if you:
- Have had any physical or mental condition that affected your ability to drive in the last six months.
- Have had any fainting spells, blackouts, seizures or other loss of consciousness.
- Need to make any changes to your name, license type, or to add or drop a restriction or endorsement.
- Renewed by mail the last time.
- Your Social Security number has not been verified with the Social Security Administration.
What To Do
Check the enclosed notice to see if you are eligible to renew by mail. If so:
- Clearly note any address changes that are needed.
- Provide your Social Security number. The Department of State verifies all Social Security information. (If your information has not been verified or you do not have a Social Security number, you must renew at a branch office.)
- Sign the renewal notice.
- If paying by check or money order, make it payable to the State of Michigan.
- If paying by Discover, Visa or MasterCard, complete and sign the credit card portion of the renewal worksheet.
- Mail the renewal notice and payment using the enclosed envelope, or mail to:
Michigan Department of State
7064 Crowner Dr.
Lansing, MI 48980-0001
Important information about renewing your driver's license
If your Social Security number has not been verified or if you do not have one, you must renew at a branch office. Present one of the following for verification when renewing:
- Your Social Security card
- W-2 or 1099 form
- Pay stub containing your name and Social Security number
- Valid U.S. military ID card with photo (DD-2 or CAC card). Documents expired less than one year will be accepted.
- If you do not have a Social Security number you may present a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal presence when renewing a standard license. The letter can be no more than 30 days old. For more information, contact the Social Security Administration at www.ssa.gov or 800-772-1213.
All documentation is subject to Department of State approval. In some cases, document approval may not occur in the same day and may require an additional visit.