Welcome to Michigan IRP Online
WHAT IS MICHIGAN IRP ONLINE?
The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a program for licensing commercial vehicles in interstate operations among member jurisdictions. All of North America is included in the IRP, except for Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico and the Canadian Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Michigan IRP Online is an electronic credentialing application that allows various types of IRP transactions to be performed via the Internet. You can process renewals, add jurisdictions, add vehicles, increase weights, transfer plates, and request credential replacements. Your vehicles can be on the road in less time with less effort.
IRP online allows for you to print your own temporary authority (TA) permits for applications processed online allowing you to get on the road quicker. Temporary authority permits can only be printed once payment has been received and are valid for 30 days. These are available to print for all transactions processed online and payment has been submitted.
Michigan IRP accepts online payments via electronic check (e-check) and by credit card (Master Card, Discover, and Visa). Payments can also be made by mail or in person at the Lansing IRP office. After payment and required documents are received, the IRP office will mail your credentials (cab cards and plates, if needed) to your Michigan physical address.
- IRP online allows you to process applications at your convenience. However, ALL DOCUMENTS must be in your possession prior to processing online. Example: DO NOT add a vehicle just purchased into your account until ownership has been transferred and you have a title or validated title receipt. Processing an application without proper documentation will result in online access being restricted.
HOW DO I USE MICHIGAN IRP ONLINE?
To start using IRP online, you must first have an established Michigan IRP account.
How to Establish an IRP Account
IRP accounts must be first established in person at the Lansing IRP office. If an account is being opened in a business name the owner of the business must be present.
To establish an IRP account:
- Present a valid Michigan driver's license or identification card
- Proof of Residency – Present three documents establishing Michigan residency (examples are but not limited to rental agreement, utility bills, property taxes, income tax, bank statement, checks). Accounts going in a business name must provide documents in the business name with business address
- Articles of Incorporation or organization, DBA papers if account is going in a business name. The owner of the business MUST be present to open an IRP account
- IRP Schedule A/C and B Applications, completed and signed
- Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance
- Proof that Heavy Vehicle Use Tax has been paid on all vehicles owned more than 60 days and operating at over 55,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight, such as a stamped IRS form 2290 Schedule 1 for the proper reporting period
- Proof of ownership - proof must be the vehicle title or a copy of the title showing the IRP applicant as the owner on the front of the title or a title application processed by a Secretary of State Branch office. If the title has been assigned to you by the owner shown on the face of the title, you must first apply for a title in your name at any Secretary of State branch office; If the vehicle is titled out-of-state then we need to see both the front and back of the title
- Lease Agreement – If registrant and titled vehicle owner are not one in the same, or if insurance is in a name other than the titled vehicle owner
Michigan IRP reserves the right to ask for additional documentation
Once established you will need to visit www.michigan.gov/irp click on the link “Do not have a username yet” at the bottom of the page and follow the prompts. You will need to print the IRP Web Application Authorization Form under “Eligibility requirements” and accept the terms and conditions. Once you have finished the online portion creating a username and password you will need to complete the IRP Web Application Authorization Form. Mail, fax, or email your completed application to:
Michigan Department of State
P.O. Box 30029
Lansing, MI 48909
After your application has been approved, you should receive an email stating your online access has been approved. You may then access your IRP account at www.michigan.gov/irp .
Log-in information should not be shared with anyone that is not on your IRP account.
Office Hours - except for state holidays.
Monday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Wednesday 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
During inclement weather, please check Michigan.gov for updates regarding office closures.
Same-day service is available for most transactions received by 3:00 p.m., with these exceptions:
- Applications containing large numbers of vehicles may not receive same-day service.
- Same-day service hours will only be until 2:00 p.m. during renewal periods due to high volume of walk-in customers.
Related Documents & Topics