How to Register to Vote Step 2
(You must be registered to vote at least 30 days before the election, so keep that in mind if you are registering with the intention of voting in an upcoming election.)
You may obtain the application at one of the following:
- Your local Secretary of State branch office
- Your local county, city, or township clerk's office
- Offices of several state agencies, like the Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Labor and Economic Growth
- Military recruitment centers
- Voter registration drives
- Online at www.Michigan.gov/sos
Michigan law states that the same address must be used for voter registration and driver's license purposes. That means, if the residence address you provide on the application differs from the address shown on a driver's license or personal identification card issued by the state of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver's license or personal ID card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If a change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver's license or personal ID card.
If you are living outside the U.S., you may send a Federal Postcard Application to register to vote. This application is distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. It also serves as a way to request an absentee ballot.