Gladwin Secretary of State office now offers enhanced driver's licenses

Image: Enhanced Driver's License

SEPTEMBER 21, 2009

Fast-selling travel documents speed return from Canada, Mexico

Editor's Note:  As of October 19, 2009, all Secretary of State offices offer enhanced driver's licenses and personal ID cards.

Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land announced today that the popular enhanced driver's license and state ID card now are available at the Gladwin branch office.

Besides the Gladwin office at 1208 N. State St., customers can choose from more than 125 offices statewide that allow people to apply for an enhanced license. Initially, 16 offices offered the enhanced license as Land's office gauged customer interest. About 70,000 Michigan residents have applied since April.

"Thousands of Michigan residents who travel to Canada for work or enjoyment have made the enhanced license a fast-seller," Land said. "Because of this customer demand, we've made applying for this simple way to cross the border even more convenient."

Enhanced licenses and ID cards let people re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean at land or sea crossings in compliance with federal regulations that took effect June 1.

Applicants must be a U.S. citizen and a Michigan resident. They also must have a driving record that does not prevent them from legally operating a motor vehicle. Customers receive their new enhanced license or ID in the mail within two to three weeks.

The Secretary of State's Office offers the enhanced driver's license and ID as an alternative to the standard license and ID. To apply, a person must present documentation of:

  • A valid Social Security number, such as a Social Security card
  • U.S. citizenship, such as an original or certified birth certificate
  • Identity, such as a Michigan license or state ID card
  • Residency, such as a Michigan license or state ID card

An applicant's full name and date of birth should match on identity and citizenship documents. If an applicant's legal name is different from what is shown on his or her citizenship document, he or she must present proof of the name change, such as an original marriage license, divorce decree or court order.

The enhanced license costs $45 and the ID card is available for $30. Residents who are blind, or age 65 or older pay a reduced fee of $20 for the ID card.

For more information on the enhanced driver's license and a list of offices accepting applications, visit

Related Link
> Branch Office Locator