Information for Mechanics
A new electronic process for administering state mechanic certification tests has been implemented in all branch offices that makes things faster and easier. The new testing system allows customers to pre-register and pay for mechanic certification tests online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To access the mechanic test registration program, go to "Mechanic Testing Registration."
- All persons who repair motor vehicles for compensation (including the reconditioning, replacement, diagnosis, adjustment or alteration of the operating condition of the vehicle or any component or sub-assembly) in any category of major repair, must be certified by the State of Michigan. Any person performing major repairs who is not certified may obtain a mechanic trainee permit in the categories of repair in which he or she works.
- To become certified, a person must first pass a test for each repair category in which certification is desired. You may
apply for certification in any number of repair categories at one time and pay a single application fee of $25.
- Individuals who are currently Michigan certified and who have passed or updated their ASE category(s) should notify the Business Licensing and Regulation Division by faxing a copy of their ASE certificate, wallet card or ASE test result letter to: (517) 335-2810. Include the category(s) you wish to add or update and your Michigan mechanics number.
An updated certificate with the new categories will automatically be mailed to
you at no extra cost.
- Individuals who are currently certified or have passed tests administered by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), may be eligible to apply for state certification in certain categories in lieu of taking the state exams. ASE certification and licensure does NOT qualify you as a state certified mechanic.
Refer to the
ASE to State of Michigan Conversion Table or telephone the Business
Licensing Section at 1-888 SOS MICH (1-888-767-6424) for further information.
- Mechanic tests are available at all Secretary of State branch offices. To search for a branch office nearest you, access the Secretary of State
Branch Office Locator available through the internet at:
Michigan.gov/sos or Telephone: 1-888-SOS-MICH
(1-888-767-6424) for assistance. There is a $6.00 fee for each test. Tests are offered on a first come, first served basis.
Tests are not available within one hour of office closure.