Note: You cannot renew online if more than 60 days has passed since your mechanic license expired. (The license expiration date is found in Box 4 of your mechanic license renewal application.)
Note: Renew before the expiration date shown in Box 4 on your preprinted renewal application to avoid paying a late fee.
- Fill out the enclosed license renewal application as instructed. Make any updates necessary. Some updates may require additional documentation.
- Pay with check or money order made out to "State of Michigan."
- Return your completed application and payment to: Department of State, Licensing Unit, Lansing, MI 48918
- Failure to fill out the form correctly or completely may delay or prevent your license renewal.
The Department of State mails a renewal application to all currently licensed mechanics about 60 days before their current license expiration date. (The current license expiration date can be found in Box 4 of your mechanic license renewal application.)
If a renewal notice has not been received within 30 days of the license expiration date, the mechanic should contact the department's Licensing Unit at firstname.lastname@example.org or
(888) SOS-MICH (767-6424). A mechanic license must be renewed annually by making application and paying the renewal fee.
Your new license should arrive in the mail within three weeks after your application has been processed.
When you receive your new mechanic license, post it prominently where customers can see it.