Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    What do I need to sell my car by myself?

    Agency: Secretary of State

    If you are selling your vehicle and cannot find its title, you will need to get a duplicate title at a Secretary of State branch office. 

    As seller, complete your part on the title assignment by signing it and adding the:

    • Vehicle mileage
    • Selling date
    • Selling price

    Note: If there is more than one owner named on the front of the title, all owners must sign.

    • Check if any liens (such as bank loans) against the vehicle that are noted on the title.  If there is a lien, it must be released by the lienholder in the appropriate signature space.  You also may attach a lien termination statement from the financial institution to the title.
    • Have the buyer enter their name, address and signature in the buyer's section on the title document.
    • If possible, the buyer and seller should go together to a Secretary of State office to complete the title transfer.

    If you are unable to accompany the buyer, maintain a record of the sale for at least 18 months. The record can be a photocopy of the reassigned title or a form or document that includes the vehicle's year, make, and Vehicle Identification Number, as well as the name, address, driver's license number and signature of the person to whom the vehicle is sold along with its purchase price and date of sale.

    Under Michigan law, a seller is not liable for any damages or a violation of the law caused by the buyer if the seller maintains proof of sale.

    • Keep the license plate that was on the vehicle you sold.  You may transfer that plate to another vehicle.
    • Remember to cancel your insurance on the vehicle that you sold.



    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    Related Content
     •  Can I return a newly bought vehicle within a certain time period?
     •  What should I do if I have a complaint about a car dealer or manager?
     •  Should I expect the used car I'm buying to have a warranty?
     •  If I just bought a vehicle, can I drive it home without it being registered?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from an individual?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from a dealership?
     •  How do I verify whether a motor vehicle repair facility is properly licensed or registered by the Department of State?
     •  How do I file a complaint against a dealership, repair facility or mechanic?
     •  What do I need to know about leasing a vehicle?
     •  Do I need to show proof of insurance each time I renew my plate?
     •  Can I renew my plate without going to a Secretary of State office?
     •  I did not receive my renewal form, can you resend me another renewal form?
     •  How can I renew my registration while I am out of state?
     •  How soon should I put my new license plate and tab on my vehicle?
     •  Should I notify anyone about my new license plate?
     •  Can I still keep my Great Lakes Splendor or Auto Centennial license plate?
     •  I sold my vehicle and there are no plans to replace it. What do I do with the license plate?
     •  What license plates are available for order?
     •  Do I need a commercial plate on my vehicle?
     •  What is considered a moped? Are they registered?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan