Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    Can I return a newly bought vehicle within a certain time period?

    Agency: Department of State

    No. There is no such thing as a "three-day cooling off period" or any other time period during which you can return the vehicle. Your sales contract is binding.

    When should I receive the new title for the vehicle I bought?

    • You should receive an original title in the mail in about 14 days. Make sure the information on the title is accurate and report errors to your local Secretary of State office.
    • Keep your title in a safe place. Do not store it in your vehicle.


    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    Related Content
     •  What should I do if I have a complaint about a car dealer or manager?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from an individual?
     •  What should I do before buying a vehicle from a dealership?
     •  Should I expect the used car I'm buying to have a warranty?
     •  What do I need to sell my car by myself?
     •  If I just bought a vehicle, can I drive it home without it being registered?
     •  How do I verify whether a motor vehicle repair facility is properly licensed or registered by the Department of State?
     •  How do I file a complaint against a dealership, repair facility or mechanic?
     •  What do I need to know about leasing a vehicle?
     •  Do I need to show proof of insurance each time I renew my plate?
     •  Can I renew my plate without going to a Secretary of State office?
     •  I did not receive my renewal form, can you resend me another renewal form?
     •  How can I renew my registration while I am out of state?
     •  How soon should I put my new license plate and tab on my vehicle?
     •  Should I notify anyone about my new license plate?
     •  Can I still keep my Great Lakes Splendor or Auto Centennial license plate?
     •  I sold my vehicle and there are no plans to replace it. What do I do with the license plate?
     •  What license plates are available for order?
     •  Do I need a commercial plate on my vehicle?
     •  What is considered a moped? Are they registered?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan