Statements from Secretary Johnson and AG Schuette on the lawsuit seeking a special election in Troy
NOVEMBER 30, 2012
LANSING, Mich. – Secretary of State Ruth Johnson and Attorney General Bill
Schuette today issued the following statements regarding the lawsuit filed this
afternoon in Oakland County Circuit Court to enforce Michigan election law,
which requires voters have the opportunity to complete the recall process:
"I'm disappointed that city officials have chosen to go this route," Johnson
said. "Unfortunately, we now must seek a legal remedy to uphold state election
and recall law. Our position all along has been that state law requires an
election in this situation. Troy residents have the right to choose the city's
mayor in February, and the attorney general and I will see that that happens."
"As Michigan Attorney General, my job is to enforce the law," Schuette said.
"I am fully supportive of Secretary of State Johnson's efforts as Michigan's
chief elections officer and agree that the law is straightforward. A February
election is required."
Earlier this month, Troy voters recalled their mayor.
For media questions, please call Gisgie Dávila Gendreau with the Secretary of
State's Office at 517-373-2520
or Joy Yearout with the Attorney General's Office