Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    Temporary Instruction Permits

    A Temporary Instruction Permit (TIP) allows you to practice driving with a licensed adult for up to 180 days. A TIP is issued if you are age 18 or older and:

    • Have never been licensed
    • Hold an expired foreign driver's license
    • Hold a Michigan driver's license or a license from another state that is expired for more than four years

    Before obtaining a TIP, you must provide documentation of a valid Social Security numberU.S. citizenship or legal presence, identity and Michigan residency. You must also pass a vision and written knowledge test. In certain cases, a road sign test may be required.

    You must practice driving with a licensed adult for at least 30 days before you are eligible to take the driving skills test with a third-party testing organization. After successfully completing your driving skills test, take your skills test certificate, TIP and appropriate identification documents to a Secretary of State office to obtain your driver's license.

    Related Content
     •  Physical/Vision Standards
     •  Physical/Vision Standards
     •  Physical/Vision Standards
     •  Driving Skills Testing Organizations
     •  Replace Driver's License
     •  Renew State ID Card
     •  Driver's License Fees
     •  Renew Driver's License
     •  Enhanced Driver's License
     •  Applying for a license or ID PDF icon
     •  Driver's License Fees
     •  Probation Explained
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan