OPERATION: OUR TROOPS COUNT
In September 2012 Secretary of State Ruth Johnson visited two military installations in the Middle East. After meeting military personnel she wanted to do more for those currently serving in the military as well as our veterans. Out of this desire the initiative OPERATION: OUR TROOPS COUNT was born. Included in the initiative are some changes that are already in effect and some that are on the horizon.
NEW AND EXPANDED PROGRAMS IN EFFECT
- A new law that cut red tape for veteran commercial driver’s licenses was passed. To find out more call 1-888-SOS-MICH, visit a Secretary of State branch office or download the application.
- We expanded use of an electronic ballot system that allows local clerks to securely and easily email ballots to overseas and military voters. Emailing ballots cuts traditional mailing time in half, saves postage and gives overseas voters more time to fill out and return their ballots.
- We developed, with a $430,000 grant from the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP), software that allow election officials to electronically create, process and track ballots for all absentee voters and pay for communication to raise awareness of Michigan's voter registration and absentee ballot options for military and overseas voters.
- A new veteran designation on driver’s licenses and state ID cards, which are voluntary and available to honorably discharged veterans is now available. The designation provides veterans with clear-cut, easy to carry documentation to access the benefits they have earned and deserve, whether it’s health care, home loans, education or even retail discounts.
NEW AND EXPANDED PROGRAMS ON THE HORIZON
- We are working with the state's top military and veterans affairs personnel on a pilot program that would put experts in veteran benefits in several of our branch offices around the state to answer questions and provide information.
- We are supporting legislation now in the Legislature that calls for a special fundraising plate for veterans. This plate will raise money to directly benefit veterans and their families.
ACTIVE MILITARY AND VETERAN QUICK LINKS
30-Day and 60-Day Temporary Registration Permits
Application for Military CDL Skills Test Waiver Form
Military and Overseas Voting
Veteran Designation Page
Veteran Designation Application
Renewing a Vehicle Registration
Renewing Your Driver License
Replacing a Lost Driver License
Titling and Registering a Vehicle