Welcome to the Department of State News Center
- Secretary Johnson: Motorists should have grace period when renewing plate tabs
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson today encouraged lawmakers to approve legislation that would eliminate fears about receiving a ticket for an expired plate tab if motorists waited until the last minute to renew . . .
- Secretary of State Mobile Office visits Gibraltar Community Center
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson announced today that her Mobile Office will offer services from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31 at the Gibraltar Community Center at 29340 S. Gibraltar Road . . .
- Mobile Office to offer voter registration at Central Michigan University
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson today announced that Central Michigan University will host the Secretary of State Mobile Office on Friday, Oct. 20 to offer voter registration to students, faculty, staff and visitors . . .
- Secretary Johnson suspends license of Hazel Park auto dealer
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson announced today that she has suspended the license of Hazel Park used-vehicle dealer 7 Auto Sales HP, LLC, 22411 S. Chrysler Dr., after a consumer allegedly paid the dealership more than a half-million dollars for vehicles that were not delivered . . .
- Secretary of State Johnson encourages lawmakers to eliminate driver fees
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson testified in front of the House and Senate Michigan Competitiveness Committees in support of a bipartisan package of legislation that would eliminate Driver Responsibility Fees . . .
- SOS takes action against operator of illegal Detroit auto repair shop
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson announced that her office has issued a cease and desist order against a Detroit repair shop owner for operating a repair facility without certified mechanics . . .
- Secretary of State Mobile Office to visit Riverview
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson announced that the Secretary of State’s Mobile Office will make its annual fall visit to Riverview to serve Downriver-area customers.
The office will be open noon to 7 p.m. on Monday . . .
- Secretary of State Ruth Johnson says SOSLive offered visitors a look into her office from a different angle
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson said that visitors to SOSLive experienced a glimpse of the Secretary of State’s office like no other.
SOSLive was a free, fun, family expo designed to entertain . . .
- Secretary of State Mobile Office to offer driver's licenses, IDs at Ottawa Connect
Participants at the Ottawa Connect program in Holland have the opportunity to apply for driver’s licenses or identification cards during an upcoming Mobile Office visit, Secretary of State Ruth Johnson announced today . . .
- Secretary of State offices once again host Harvest Gathering food collection sites
Michigan Secretary of State Ruth Johnson encouraged residents to donate nonperishable food at Secretary of State offices statewide as part of the 27th Annual Michigan Harvest Gathering food drive . . .
- Secretary of State Johnson suspends licenses of auto dealers in Macomb, Lapeer Counties
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson announced that the licenses of two used auto dealers in Eastpointe and Almont have been summarily suspended for failure to follow proper procedures as required by law . . .
- Secretary Johnson: Voters should be registered in just 1 state; deceased quickly removed
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson presented several common-sense election reforms to the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity, including the need to have the federal government and states work together to clean up voter rolls by removing deceased voters . . .
- The giving continues: More than 60 percent of Michigan adults are now registered organ donors
Secretary of State Ruth Johnson announced that the number of Michigan adults registered as organ, tissue and eye donors has topped 60 percent.
Johnson recently joined Gift of Life Michigan’s CEO Dorrie Dils to film a message for SOS staff, thanking them . . .