To qualify for a driver education instructor certificate from the Secretary
of State an applicant must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Possess a valid driver license that has been in continuous effect for not
less than 5 years immediately preceding the application.
- Provide the applicant's driver license number
- Provide a statement indicating whether the applicant has applied for a
driver education instructor certificate in this or any other state, and the
result of that application.
- Provide a statement indicating whether the applicant has previously had a
driver education instructor certificate revoked or suspended in this state or
any other state.
- Complete a criminal history check.
- Certify there is no pending criminal matter or outstanding arrest,
warrant, or conviction since submitting a request for a criminal history
- Submit a $45.00 nonrefundable application-processing fee.
- Submit a certified medical examination report that is not older than 90
days that is prepared by a physician, physician's assistant, or certified
- Until December 31, 2007, a driver education instructor applicant for teen
driver training must submit an official transcript from an approved college or
university that currently offers driver education instructor programs. The
transcript must provide evidence of the equivalence of at least 8 semester
hours of driver education instructor preparation courses. The universities
that currently offer the approved instructor preparation courses are listed at
the end of this document.
- Beginning January 1, 2008, a driver education instructor application for
teen or adult driver training must submit an official transcript from an
approved college, university, or person to verify the completion of a driver
education instructor preparation program as described in section 23 of PA 384
- Other information and documents as requested by the Secretary of State to determine an applicant's qualifications for certification.
Driver Education Instructor Preparation Programs
If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.