Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view
    How do I change my name on my driver's license or state identification card?

    To change your name on your driver's license or state identification card, you must go to a Secretary of State office to process the correction.  Present your valid driver's license or state ID card and proof of the name change. Proof of your name change must be established, such as a certified marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document.

    When you have your name changed on your license or state ID card, make sure to notify the Social Security Administration. To process a name change with the Social Security Administration, you must provide proof of your identity, legal presence and name change. Additional proof may be requested.

    Failing to inform the Social Security Administration of your name change will delay the processing of your license or state ID card application when renewing. The department verifies all names and Social Security numbers before issuing a license or ID card. If your name does not match with what is on file at the Social Security Administration, your renewal application will be denied.

    > Back to Driver's License FAQ
    > Additional Driver's License Information


    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    FAQ Categories
     •  Index of SOS FAQs
     •  About the Secretary of State
     •  Automotive-related Businesses
     •  Branch Offices
     •  Campaign Finance & Lobby Disclosure
     •  Contact Information
     •  Great Seal/Authentications
     •  Driving
     •  Elections & Voting
     •  Fees
     •  New Michigan Residents
     •  Notary Public
     •  Online Services
     •  Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)
     •  Organ Donation
     •  Services to the Disability Community
     •  Vehicles
     •  Svcs. Provided by Other Govt. Agencies
     •  Electronic Insurance Reporting FAQ
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan