Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    Do I need an enhanced driver's license or state ID card if I am younger than 18?

    Beginning June 1, 2009, travelers must present an identity and citizenship document approved under WHTI to gain re-entry into the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. WHTI was enacted to heighten border security against terrorism and illegal entry.

    U.S. citizens age 16 or older must present one of the WHTI-approved documents, such as an enhanced license or ID card, passport, passport card or Trusted Traveler card.

    U.S. citizens under the age of 16 must present their birth certificate (original or a photocopy) or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

    U.S. citizens ages 16-18 traveling under adult supervision with a school or religious group, social organization or sports team need only present their birth certificate (original or a photocopy) or other proof of citizenship.


    If you did not find the information you need, enter a descriptive word or phrase in the Search field located in the upper right corner or send us an e-mail and we will help you get the information you need.

    Related Content
     •  How can I have the designation removed?
     •  What documentation is required to obtain the veteran designation?
     •  Do I qualify for veteran designation if I am on active duty?
     •  Am I required to obtain the designation?
     •  Will my veteran status be shared with other organizations?
     •  Can my spouse and dependents have the veteran designation?
     •  Does the veteran designation qualify me to receive veteran benefits?
     •  Is there a cost for obtaining the veteran designation?
     •  How do I add the veteran designation to my driver's license or ID card?
     •  What if I already have a veteran designation from another state?
     •  What is the veteran designation?
     •  When can veterans apply for the veteran designation?
     •  Who is eligible to have a veteran designation on their license or ID card?
     •  How can I obtain a copy of my DD214?
     •  Are wired or wireless earpieces allowed?
     •  Are CMV drivers allowed to use push-to-talk mobile communications equipment while driving?
     •  Are holders of a commercial driver's license (CDL) subject to the regulation only when driving a CMV, as defined in 49 CFR 383.5, or any vehicle?
     •  What drivers are covered by the federal rule? Drivers who operate a CMV intrastate or interstate? Drivers who hold a CDL? Or is it operation of all CMVs?
     •  What is required of the employer in terms of company policy or training?
     •  Is dialing a phone number allowed under this rule?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • State Web Sites
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan