Skip Navigation
  • SOS Home
  • Site Map
  • FAQs
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • close print view

    What types of driver's licenses does Michigan issue?

    License types

    Michigan issues two types of driver's licenses: operator and chauffeur.

    1. An operator's license is what most residents mean when they use the term "driver's license." An operator's license allows you to drive passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating capacity of less than 26,000 pounds.

    2. A chauffeur license is required if you have been hired to:

      • Transport passengers or property, merchandise or goods for display, sale or delivery; or

      • Operate a motor vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or more; or

      • Operate a bus or school bus; or

      • Operate a taxi or limousine

      You will need a chauffeur license with the appropriate commercial driver license (CDL) endorsement to drive larger commercial trucks, such as semi-tractors or buses, or to transport hazardous materials. Certain jobs and professions don't require a chauffeur license, such as farmers, firefighters or emergency medical services personnel. For a complete definition of a chauffeur license, visit the Michigan Vehicle Code at


    3. To operate a motorcycle, you must have a motorcycle endorsement on either an operator or a chauffeur license. The motorcycle endorsement, CY, is added after you have successfully completed a motorcycle safety course or passed the skills and written knowledge tests.

    4. A limited-term driver's license is issued to residents in the U.S. who have temporary legal presence. The limited-term license is valid for only as long as the person is authorized to be in the country.

    License styles

    Michigan's operator and chauffeur licenses are available in two styles -- standard and enhanced. The enhanced operator and chauffeur licenses are attractive options for travelers and commercial drivers. Enhanced licenses are federally accepted documents that allow you to enter the U.S. at a land or sea border crossing when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean. If you have a standard operator or chauffeur license, you'll also need to present a passport or other federally accepted identity document to cross at the border.
    Both standard and enhanced licenses are accepted as identification for domestic air travel. A passport or other federally accepted identity document will be required when flying internationally.
    For more information about license types, requirements, endorsements and fees, click on "Driver's License/State ID" on the Department of State home page.

    Related Content
     •  How can I have the designation removed?
     •  What documentation is required to obtain the veteran designation?
     •  Do I qualify for veteran designation if I am on active duty?
     •  Am I required to obtain the designation?
     •  Will my veteran status be shared with other organizations?
     •  Can my spouse and dependents have the veteran designation?
     •  Does the veteran designation qualify me to receive veteran benefits?
     •  Is there a cost for obtaining the veteran designation?
     •  How do I add the veteran designation to my driver's license or ID card?
     •  What if I already have a veteran designation from another state?
     •  What is the veteran designation?
     •  When can veterans apply for the veteran designation?
     •  Who is eligible to have a veteran designation on their license or ID card?
     •  How can I obtain a copy of my DD214?
     •  Are wired or wireless earpieces allowed?
     •  Are CMV drivers allowed to use push-to-talk mobile communications equipment while driving?
     •  Are holders of a commercial driver's license (CDL) subject to the regulation only when driving a CMV, as defined in 49 CFR 383.5, or any vehicle?
     •  What drivers are covered by the federal rule? Drivers who operate a CMV intrastate or interstate? Drivers who hold a CDL? Or is it operation of all CMVs?
     •  What is required of the employer in terms of company policy or training?
     •  Is dialing a phone number allowed under this rule?
    QR code Home
  • SOS Home
  • FAQ
  • Online Services
  • Forms
  • Contact SOS
  • State Web Sites
  • Office of Regulatory Reinvention
  • Spending & Accountability

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan