Skip Navigation
SOS - Secretary of State | SOS Secretary of State | SOS
Secretary of State | SOS
Email this Page
Share this Link on Facebook
Tweet this page on Twitter!

Military Personnel and Michigan Residents Temporarily Outside of Michigan

To apply for a vehicle title and registration in Michigan, an Application for Certificate of Title and Registration (TR-11L) must be completed and signed by the purchaser.  A Special Mailer of Certificate for Title (TR-114) form should accompany the title application if the title is to be mailed to an address other than that shown on the title application. 


In order for you to apply for a Michigan title and registration, please complete and sign the TR-11L title application form, being certain to include:

  • The vehicle model year, vehicle make, body style, vehicle identification number, and manufacturer base price.
  • The name and address of the purchaser.
  • The name and address of lien holder(s) if applicable.
  • If the vehicle was previously titled, you must submit the properly assigned title along with an itemized bill of sale.  Be certain the odometer statement on the back of the previous title is properly completed.  If you purchased the vehicle new from a dealer, submit the Manufacturer Statement of Origin and bill of sale from the dealer.
  • Remit 6% sales tax on the purchase price of the vehicle.
  • If the vehicle is already titled in your name in another state, the title is being held by a lien holder, and you wish to only register the vehicle in Michigan, you must submit a copy of the title or current out of state registration in your name. 
  • Proof of Michigan no-fault insurance must be submitted if you are purchasing or renewing a Michigan license plate.
  • Include $15.00 title fee if applying for a Michigan title. 
  • Registration fees are based on the vehicle's manufacturer base price and the owner's birthday.  You may figure your license plate fee using our plate fee calculator.  If you need assistance determining your license plate fee, please call (517) 322-1473.

A check or money order made payable to the "State of Michigan" for the total amount due must accompany all title and registration applications in order to process your transaction.  Please mail your payment and signed application for title and/or registration to:

Michigan Department of State
Out of State Resident Services Unit
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918
(517) 322-1473

Related Documents
Application for Michigan Vehicle Title PDF icon
Special Mailer of Certificate for Title (TR-114) PDF icon

Copyright © 2015 State of Michigan