Restricted Use Pesticide Dealer License

Agency: Agriculture and Rural Development

The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) administers licenses to all Restricted Use Pesticde Dealers in Michigan. Any establishment at which restricted use pesticedes are sold or offered for sale to the end user is required to obtain a Restricted Use Pesticide Dealer License.


Restricted Use Pesticide Dealer License


Pesticide Control, Public Act 451, Part 83 as amended


Regulation 633, Restricted Use Pesticides


 1.  Applicability (activities that require the permit)

Any establishment/person(s) intending to sell, offer for sale, or otherwise distribute to the ultimate user (certified private or commercial pesticide applicator) a restricted use pesticide (RUP), needs a restricted use pesticide dealer license.

 2.  Pre-Application Requirements

The Establishment shall designate a person in charge. A person designated by the company applying for the license to sell restricted use pesticides (RUP's) shall pass a written examination to determine his or her knowledge of the laws and rules governing the use and sale of pesticides and his or her responsibility in carrying on the business of a restricted use pesticides (RUP) dealer. This person is referred to as the "Person In Charge."

 3.  Application Submission Requirements

An application for a new license is made by downloading completing the Restricted Use Pesticide Dealer License application. Complete the application and return it to the address listed on the application with a check or money order for the required amount made out to the State of Michigan. Annual submital by December 31 of each year on a form provided by the MDARD and containing all the required information

Licensing fee of $100

 4.  Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval

License applications are forwarded to the MDARD Central Licensing Unit. MDARD will issue an initial or renewal license not later than 60 days after the applicant files a completed application. Receipt of the application is considered the date the application is received by MDARD. If MDARD determines that the application is incomplete, MDARD will notify the applicant in writing, or will make the information electronically available, within 30 days after receipt of the incomplete application, describing the deficiency and requesting the additional information.

 5.  Operational Requirements

Any establishment/person(s) intending to sell, offer for sale, or otherwise distribute to the ultimate user (certified private or commercial pesticide applicator) a restricted use pesticide (RUP), needs a restricted use pesticide dealer license.

Out of State Applicants:

Out of State applicants must contact the department at 517-284-5650 or email Antonio Escobar at regarding becoming licensed to distribute RUP Products in Michigan.

NOTE: Out of state companies must be authorized to conduct business in the State of Michigan. A copy of that authorization must be on file with MDARD. You can apply for this authorization at the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Michigan Corporation Division (MCD), telephone (517) 241-6470, fax (517) 334-8329 for more information go to MCD's website at

Sale of Restricted Use Pesticides by Licensed establishents/person(s):

Restricted use pesticides must be sold to curently certified applicators only. The MDARD issues a certification card with a unique certification number to properly certified applicators. The establishment must verify that the person purchasing a restricted use pesticide holds a valid certification card.

Reporting Sales of Restricted Use Pesticides:

Sales of restricted use pesticides must be reported monthly to Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division.

A licensed dealer shall keep a record, of each sale of restricted used pesticides on forms supplied by the director. this form can be found at the MDARD web site at

Such record shall be transmitted to the director monthly and shall be due in the office of the director not later than the fifteenth day of the month following the month of sale.

Sales Records can also be transmitted electronically, please contact Stephanie Baughan at for this option.

Change in person in charge:

The licensed dealer must notify the department of the departure of the designated person in charge and make arrangements to have another individual take and pass the required examination to maintain the RUP Dealer License. The license becomes invalid if the person in charge leaves and is not replaced. There is no charge for another person(s) to take the RUP Dealer Exam during the course of the license year. The fee licenses the location not the individual.

Change in Company Ownership, Name, or Address:

Please contact the department at 517-284-5659 or email Antonio Escobar at regarding changes to the company name, address or a change of ownership, depending on the circumstances, a new license may be required before the company may continue to sell, offer for sale, or otherwise distribute RUP products.

License Renewal:

A renewal application will be mailed to all licensed firms by the beginning of November. Firms must complete the Renewal Application and enclose a $100.00 application fee by check or money order payable to the STATE OF MICHIGAN. MDARD requests that firms use the renewal application sent in the mail because it will contain the firm's license number and specific company information such as company name and address as previously submitted to MDARD. If any of that information has changed since the previous license, indicating the changes on this form will help us to update our records.

Changes can be made directly on the application by crossing out the incorrect information and writing in the corrected information. Licensees who have not received their application by December 15th should immediately contact MDARD at (517) 284-5659 or send an email to

 6.  Fees

$100.00 per annual license

 7.  Appeal Process

No formal appeal process is outlined in the governing statute. However, the right to a contested case hearing can be created when an agency seeks to modify or terminate a license or entitlement. MCL 24.201 et seq.

 8.  Public Input Opportunities

Complaints related to the improper sales of restricted use pesticides can be made at any time to the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division. The complaints are investigated and if they are validated through an inspection and if a violation is found during the inspection, these findings are considered in the decision-making process.

E. Contact Information:

MDARD Customer Service Center at 1-800-292-3939, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.


Creation/Revision Date:

September 25, 2014