Commercial Weighing and Measuring Service Agency RegistrationAgency: Agriculture and Rural Development
Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development administers the
A. NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL:
Application for Service Person and Service Agency Registration (Form LB-182). This form is available at www.michigan.gov/mda-licensing
B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY:
C. APPLICABLE REGULATION:
No administrative rules.
D. SUMMARY OF PERMIT/APPROVAL PROCESS:
1. Applicability (activities that require the permit)
Any service agency or persons that install and or repair commercial weighing and measuring devices and want to be registered to legally place into service such devices, either for the first time or following an official condemnation by a State Weights and Measures Inspector shall apply.
2. Pre-Application Requirements
First time applicants must review the posted examination schedule to determine the date that exams are offered. Also beneficial are the frequently asked questions and examples of exam questions.
3. Application Submission Requirements
- Agencies must show proof their standards have been calibrated by an approved source within the last two years.
- First time service person must submit the application 30 days prior to your scheduled testing date.
- Renewal applications must be submitted 20 days prior to the expiration of your registration.
- Registration is for a period of two years.
- Applicable fees are as follows:
4. Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
- Submittal of form provided by MDARD completed with all the required information and signature.
- Agencies - calibration reports are reviewed for proper standards for type of device(s) service person(s) are to be approved for.
- Service person passing of required testing. (Original applications only - currently no additional testing required when renewing registration).
5. Operational Requirements
- All service agencies and persons registered in Michigan with the Office of Weights and Measures shall comply with all requirements of the law (PA 283, as amended), and all specifications, tolerances, and other requirements as cited within the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Handbook 44.
- Upon completion of any new commercial installation or repair, a properly executed "place in service" report (Form LB-183), along with all test data, shall be submitted by mail within 5 days to the Weights and Measures Program office.
Registration is biennial (every two years).
- $300 for service agency
- $100 for service person
Note: if an individual is an agency's owner and sole service person - you are required to submit applications for both agency and service person, along with applicable fees. (Total $400)
7. Appeal Process
Before suspension or revocation of registration, the registrant shall be notified of the intended action in writing and has 15 days to submit a written request for a review hearing.
8. Public Input Opportunities
The decision maker in this process is the Consumer Protection Section Director which the Weights and Measures Program is under.
E. Contact Information: