Skip Navigation
Michigan Business, official portal for the State of Michigan Home
  • One Stop Home
  • Contact Us
  • Site Map
  • close print view


    Agency: Agriculture and Rural Development

    Required State License(s):


    Kennel licensing is regulated locally.  The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) has authorized local animal control officers, chiefs of police, or sheriffs' departments to act in the MDARD director's name in conducting kennel inspections and signing off on the inspection certificates.  MDARD therefore advises people wishing to license a kennel to contact their local animal control to arrange for an animal control officer to conduct an inspection of facilities to determine if they meet the requirements of a kennel.

    Below you will find links to the law and regulation regarding kennels.

    Other Possible License(s):

    A kennel license may be required by the county animal control office or local animal shelter.

    A sales tax license is required depending on the type of products sold, whether from the home or at a retail establishment. You may call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4660.

    Personalized sales tax returns and a payment schedule will be mailed to you about four to six weeks after your registration is processed. If you have questions about this process, please call the Michigan Department of Treasury at (517) 636-4730.


    Revised:  11/2013

    QR code Home
  • State Web Sites
  • Site Map

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan