Motor Fuels Retail Outlet License

Agency: Agriculture and Rural Development

The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development administers licenses to all retail motor fuel outlets that service the public of Michigan. Any establishment at which motor fuel is sold or offered for sale to the public is required to obtain a retail motor fuel outlet license.

Application for Motor Fuel Retail Outlet License


Motor Fuels Retail Outlet License. The application is available for download on the MDARD website.

B. STATUTORY AUTHORITY: The Michigan Motor Fuels Quality Act, Public Act 44 of 1984, as amended, MCLA 290.641 et seq. Public Act 44 of 1984


Regulation No. 563, Retail Gasoline Dealer Licensing, R285.563


 1.  Applicability (activities that require the permit)
  • The transferring, selling, or offering of gasoline, diesel fuel, biodiesel, biodiesel blends, or hydrogen fuel for retail sale requires a retail license for each retail outlet.
  • The license is good from date of issue to November 30 of each year.
  • Retail marketing of gasoline exclusively for aircraft does not require a license.
 2.  Pre-Application Requirements

The owner/operator of the retail outlet must:

  • Be in compliance with all requirements of the Motor Fuels Quality Act. (No Department inspection required) and
  • Have no delinquent fine payments for fines issued under section 10a of the Motor Fuels Quality Act [MCL 290.650a] and
  • No section 31 Weights and Measures felony convictions involving motor fuels within two years of the application date.

(The Weights and Measures Act, Public Act 283 of 1964, as amended, MCL 290.631)

 3.  Application Submission Requirements

The application must be completed in its entirety to include:

  • Business name and physical address
  • Business mailing address (if different from the retail outlet address)
  • Type of ownership (partnership, trust, corporation, LLC, etc.)
  • Name address, telephone number and date of birth of owner or owners. If the firm is a corporation the application must give the president's name, address and date of birth.
  • If the owner or corporation is an out-of-state ownership the name, title, address, and date of birth of a Michigan resident agent must be provided.
  • Authorized signature or its approved electronic equivalent, title and date of signature must be provided for each application.
  • Number of grades of motor fuel offered for sale must also be included.
 4.  Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
  • The license is not transferable from one owner to the next or from one location to the next.
  • All motor fuel retail outlet licenses expire November 30, irregardless of the date of issue.
  • New owners must apply 60 days before engaging in retail sales. The 60 day requirement will be waived if a) the application is accompanied by a written statement requesting the waiver and b) the application is submitted within 5 days of a legal ownershp change.
  • Existing owners must submit a renewal application on or before September 1 of each year.
  • Seasonal businesses not certain of their operational status for the following year may delay a renewal submission if a) written notice which provides the business location information and indicates the business is seasonal is provided to the department by the September 1 renewal deadline and b) the renewal is submitted 5 days prior to resuming operations.
  • If a retail location is conducting commission fuel sales for another firm the actual owner of the fuel being offered for sale has responsibility for the quality of the fuel and therefore is the responsible party for obtaining a motor fuels quality license, regardless of who physically owns the property or tanks the fuel is stored on or in.
 5.  Operational Requirements

License continuity rquires Compliance with

  • The Motor Fuels Quality Act, Public Act 44 of 1984 as amended [1] to include payment of fines issued under section 10a and
  • The Michigan Weights and Measures Act, Public Act 283 of 1964, as amended. [2]
6.  Fees

If applying on-line/postmarked March 28, 2017 or earlier: $100. If applying on-line/postmarked March 29, 2017 or later: None

 7.  Appeal Process

License denials can be appealed in accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act, Public Act 306 of 1969, as amended, MCL 24.201 et seq. [3] except that denial for non-payment of a fine does not require a hearing per section 6 of the Motor Fuels Quality Act, MCL 290.646.

 8.  Public Input Opportunities
  • Licensing status questions and licensing process complaints should be directed to the Central Licensing Unit of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, 517 284-5771.
  • Compliance information or licensing enforcement complaints should be directed to the Motor Fuels Quality Enforcement Program, Laboratory Division, 517 655-8202.

E. Contact Information:

Contact Us

Creation/Revision Date: