Skip Navigation
Michigan Business, official portal for the State of Michigan Home
  • One Stop Home
  • Contact Us
  • Site Map
  • close print view

    Salvage - General

    Required State License(s):

    Auto Salvage - The Michigan Department of State's Business Licensing and Regulation Division (BLRD) licenses and regulates motor vehicle dealers. Section 248 of the Michigan Vehicle Code (MCL 257.248) provides that only those Michigan dealers with C, F, H and R license classifications may deal in salvage- and scrap-titled vehicles and salvageable parts. For more information visit our Web site or call 1-888-SOS-MICH (888-767-6424).

    Insurance Company Salvage Pool, Vehicles -- Class G (Vehicle Salvage pool) license with the Michigan Department of State, Bureau of Regulatory Services (BRS).

    Marine Salvage -- An abandoned boat salvager, (i.e., ownership responsibility has been relinquished), a permit is required with the Department of Environmental quality [DEA] (517) 373-1170. When rebuilding and reselling salvaged boats a dealer's decal is required for demonstrations with the Michigan Department of State 1-888-SOS-MICH (888-767-6424).

    If salvager is working on behalf of the owner of the vessel being salvaged (or insurance company with authority to act for owner), no state license or permit is necessary.

    Further Information -- Obtain a copy of "Underwater Salvage Act" PA 184, 1980 and "Aboriginal and Antiquities Act" PA 173, 1979 for other restrictions.

    Contact the local Coast Guard for possible permit(s)/license(s).

    Food Salvage -- A food establishment license is required with the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Food and Dairy Division; (517) 373-1060.

    To become an officially recognized destination for distressed foods, an establishment should submit an application to the Lansing office on a form prescribed by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development [MDA], Food and Dairy Division. An application shall be made at least 30 days prior to expected operation. The local MDARD, Food and Dairy Division Regional Office will inspect the proposed business site/operation and then notify the Lansing office for approval or disapproval of applicant.

    Applicants should comply with all applicable requirements of the Michigan Food Law of 1968, e.g. construction, sanitary operations, employee practices, and food handling methods.

    The facility and equipment should be suited for the proposed operation, e.g.., size, refrigeration, proper equipment and container washing sinks and toilet facilities. The exact type of equipment and facilities will be dictated by the proposed nature of food handling or processing.


    Related Content
     •  Storage Tanks
     •  Securities Agent
     •  Securities Broker/Dealer
     •  Specialist/AEMT
     •  Savings Bank
     •  Special Hospital Permit
     •  Small Distiller License
     •  Seller of Alcohol License
     •  Small Wine Maker License
     •  Sunday Sales License
     •  Special 24-Hour License
     •  Specific Purpose Permit
     •  Seafood Dealer
     •  Single Business Tax (SBT)
     •  Septic Tank Waste Removal, Transport and Land Application Licenses
     •  Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control Permit
     •  Subdivision, Condominium and Land Division Construction (On-Site Water Supply and Sewage Disposal)
     •  Sand (Critical) Dunes Protection and Management Permit (Part 353)
     •  Scrap Tire Collection Site Registration
     •  Scrap Tire Hauler Registration
    QR code Home
  • State Web Sites
  • Site Map

  • Privacy Policy
  • Link Policy
  • Accessibility Policy
  • Security Policy
  • Michigan Survey

    Copyright © 2001-2014 State of Michigan